Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Includes Expert Content
OCD, natural vs prescription
Cammi70 posted:
I am really into vitamins and natural cures because to me they have a lot less side effects and bring about healing. I've gotten a lot of help from St. John's Wort and a really good multi that includes a lot of greens. However, I still deal with OCD. I don't really feel consciously worried, but I have trouble with routine stuff like putting up clothes or doing dishes because...it gets on my nerves. Anybody understand? Anyway, I'm wondering if I'm going to just have to try a drug that treat OCD. But, I probably won't be able to stand the side effects. Anybody know of an good support groups in the Birmingham, Alabama area or have any thoughts?
I really am thankful for the progress that I have made, and I give thanks to God for that.

Patricia Farrell, PhD responded:
I think you have a good idea about finding a support group in your area and you might be able to contact the local psychologists' association to see if they know where one one or more of these groups would be. Also, you might look at the Anxiety Disorders Association of America website which might also contain links to groups.

Any local community mental health centers as well as hospitals may also have the names of groups in your area as well as social service agencies which might offer these services.

I'm not sure that medication would be needed and you seem to be not in favor of medication, so cognitive therapy may be quite useful for you.

It sounds like you've made wonderful progress on your own and I do hope that things continue to go very well for you.

Featuring Experts

Reid Wilson, PhD is an international expert in the treatment of anxiety disorders, with books translated into nine languages. He is author of Don...More

Helpful Tips

Progressive Muscle RelaxationExpert
In addition to relaxation breathing and guided imagery, one great self-help technique that you can use anywhere (even while sitting in a ... More
Was this Helpful?
14 of 24 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.