Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Includes Expert Content
To HockeyGod or Anyone else
An_190541 posted:
I suffer with anxiety and replied to HockeyGod in one of your post and you said you had had a spinal tap done...I havent had one of those done yet but they may want to do that....I have seen it done on TV and the darn needle is about a foot long and I know its got to hurt like the dickens...if anyone has had one done could you please tell me what it is like...I know it helps rule out certain diseases and since I have had everything else done they may want to do that cause I am scheduled to see a new neurologist for my dizziness and vertigo...

Thanks to all

HockeyGod1983 responded:
Hey Anon,

Spinal taps are normally used to rule out infection on the brain or in your CSF. Stuff like Meningitis and a few other nasty infections are diagnosed that way, And Spinal Tap is the ONLY way to see them. The CSF they draw out will be cloudy and is tested for certain things. When they did mine it came out crystal clear, and I was ruled out from having anything to that nature.

I will tell you this. It hurts SO bad. They give you a local anest but it barely numbs it. Youre right, the needle is huge and depending on the gauge it hurts more or less. Its pretty quick though.

I got a Spinal headache though after. Which i can tell you is by far, the worst headache you can ever imagine. Take a migraine and times it by ten. It lasted for almost 10 days too.

If i were you i would read up on it. And ask your neuro if he thinks its a good idea! I have a new neuro appt next week so I will update you on my status.

An_190542 replied to HockeyGod1983's response:
OMG I have already changed my mind from having one...just the thought of a headache that bad is scarey enough and my anxiety is so bad anyway I dont think I would ever be able to go thru it without a panic attack...

I also have a neuro appt whenever my dr gets me set up with a new one...I dont know why I just dont let go and quit spending so much money on all these drs to tell me absolutely nothing after they finish and then I am left with paying all the bills that my insurance doesnt cover...

I am so tired of dizziness everyday and headaches... did have a MRI on my neck and they said I had arthritis in my C5,C6,C7 but they said it shouldnt cause me to be dizzy everyday...but I have headaches daily and they come from the back of my head and go up under the sheath of my skull in the back of my head...

I hurt all over and have been told I probably have fibromyalgia a muscle condtion....keep me posted on your new results when you get them...I sure hope you find some help soon...its so hard being sick everyday and never feeling good but we cant give up...we have to stay positive and I know thats easier said than done cause most days I cry all day but I know God is in control and here with me so I must perservere....

Keep us informed ok...God bless....KJ

Patricia Farrell, PhD responded:
Usually, it's not a good idea to have any type of invasive procedure until everything else has been ruled out and I'm wondering if you are experiencing something like fibromyalgia or anxiety if this is really a good idea.

You didn't indicate what your symptoms were nor what procedures were performed to rule anything out. Who is recommending that you have a spinal tap? You did indicate that you are going to see a new neurologist and I'm sure you'll want to discuss everything with this person.

How have they ruled out that your vertigo and dizziness might be a symptom of either stress or anxiety? Have they provided you with any medication which would address this? I'm not an M.D., but I always believe that the most conservative approach is the way to go initially.

HockeyGod1983 replied to Patricia Farrell, PhD's response:
I believe what Anon is experiencing is less of a vertigo, and more of a dizziness. They tried to put me on anti-vert when this first started happening to me. I had to specifically explain, the room is not spinning ( like with an inner ear problem) but more so Of a lightheaded,miss the last step on a stairway type feeling.

Anon, I dont experience headaches. BUT, I do have severe tightness in my neck muscles which go up into my Occipital Region as well . I went to the chiro for no joke, 2 times a week for 3-4 months. It helped a little but the tightness and stuff would come back the very neck day. I sit in front of a computer ALL day long so Im sure my posture sucks.

My mom has fibromyalgia.So i see what she goes through.

Have you had any MRI's of your brain? Have you also had a T3-T4 work up to rule out lupus? do you have any vision problems?

itsanglehere1231 replied to HockeyGod1983's response:
@HockeyGod1983 how have you been feeling did the doctors tell you anything i am feeling the same way as you

Featuring Experts

Reid Wilson, PhD is an international expert in the treatment of anxiety disorders, with books translated into nine languages. He is author of Don...More

Helpful Tips

Progressive Muscle RelaxationExpert
In addition to relaxation breathing and guided imagery, one great self-help technique that you can use anywhere (even while sitting in a ... More
Was this Helpful?
14 of 24 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.