Skip to content
Includes Expert Content
fuzzy dizzy head tingling feeling?
birdmadgirl posted:
This is so strange but does anyone here have this? It kinda feels like there is a tingling burning sensation on the top of my head all day long like someone is lightly massaging the top of my head. my forehead feels tight. my skin is kind of irritated and itchy. i feel really out of sorts and tense all the time. feel like the floor will drop out from underneath me. i get very lightheaded after eating especially. I am very irritable and emotional. upper back pain and a horrible time sleeping. Im assuming this may all be anxiety symptoms but god they are absolutely debilitating. I seem to have more trouble with motion sickness now as well. I just feel really off balance and "dizzy" ALL THE TIME. can anyone relate?

Patricia Farrell, PhD responded:
It sounds like there are a number of things that would certainly make you feel pretty bad much of the time. I'm wondering if you've discussed this with your physician. I think it should be investigated, especially because of the lightheadedness after eating as well as the skin sensations and the motion problems.

I hope there is something fairly simple that can be done to help you. In the meantime, just to decrease your stress level, why not look at our Tips column and begin using some of the techniques there.

An_190550 responded:
I can absolutely relate big time...I have been suffering with dizziness for 5 years every single day of my life....been to 20 plus doctors and no one can find a thing....just think its anxiety they say....but even on an anti-anxiety medication it doesnt seem to stop....I hve pain in my neck and iin the back of my head....I just went to a new neulologist this past Thursday and he harldy listened to a thing I said....he didnt even do anything but check my reflexes and look in my eyes....he did make me stand up with my feet together and close my eyes and i feel to the right....but he still didnt say anything about it...

He just said it was all probably from all the conditions I have....the fibromyalgia,anxiety and depression but when all this hit me it was nothing with dizziness and to this day that is still the main symptom I have...I stay home all the time now,had to quit my job and now I am on disability....its so tough when you have a life one day and then its gone the next...so I understand how youfeel and I wish I could tell you the answer but after all the dr I have been to I am thruwith them....they just dont have the answers at all....I will keep you in my prayers cause its horrible to feel this way because it makes you nauseous and scared because you dont have answers....Hope things get better for you....

shawnp1980 replied to An_190550's response:
Read my discussion and it might help.. I have been going throught the same thing for over 7years and finally think I found a solution.. Do you have High Blood Pressure or low heart rate?? I just got out of the Hospital for over 5 days and had every single test possible done.. got diagnosed w/ Vasovagal Response.. read about it.. it can be caused by emotional or physical stress, change in position... I thought this whole time it was panic attacks which they were after the dizzy spells occured but the Vasovagal triggered it.. hope it helps.. take care

An_190551 replied to shawnp1980's response:
I read your discussion and you sound like you have had all the test done I have except I havent had the tilt table done....I am sure if they put me on that I would immediately have a vertigo attack and start throwing up everywhere....I dont have HBP....they always say mine is very good so I know its not that....My heart does start racing really fast when I am just sitting watching TV...I once wore a heart monitor that register my heart rate while I was asleep and it was 168 beats a minute....they just said I was having a panic attack in my sleep...

I say hog wash.....I have always believed there is something they are not finding out and it seems once a dr finds out you suffer with anxiety or depression they just chalk everything else up to that...I have been to so many dr's and tried so many drugs and they all made me sick and I couldnt tolerate them at all...the drugs that is....the dr's too..lol... but I think dizziness comes from your inner ear or could be signs of a tumor , etc...but you like me have had all that done....mine also is a heriditary thing...my grandfather,father and both brothers have vertigo but nothing like I have....they get it occasionally but I have it daily now and because of the vertigo and dizziness I suffer with panic attacks....who wouldnt....let someone who hasnt ever had vertigo experience it and they will see why it scares you so bad and then you have to go thru a double whammy when you get a panic attack...

I hope you get some relief with the medications....I have tried propanol before ...it suppose to slow your heart rate down so when I took it my heart would barely beat and it made me so weak and tired and I already have all that giong on anyway...

Please keep me informed on how you are doing...I hope it all goes away for you....I have suffered for 5 years now with no help at all from drs....its like they dont even care or wont even listen to you anymore....I have give up on dr's and just try to put my Faith in God to help me thru each day.....I dont know about you but I hardly ever leave home anymore because I get sick just riding in a car or going anywhere....to get to a dr is a major ordeal for me...I hope you arent that bad yet....good luck and thanks for informing me on your condition....I hope all goes welll for you and please let us know ok...you will be in my thoughts and prayers...

God Bless

shawnp1980 replied to An_190551's response:
Well you dont have to have HPB to get results from the table tilt test.. but you not having HBP and a fast heart rate is the exact opposite of me with my slow heart rate but HBP. The table tilt test was the worst test I have ever had and I dont ever want to go through that experience ever again, but I did get an answer and the many yrs of panics was worth some type of answer other then I am having anxiety attacks. I have been on propranolol for a week and a half now and it has minimized the dizzy spells but not eliminated them. I am also still having minor panic attacks after the dizzy spells as well. I definately agree with the dizzy spells coming from the inner ear, but the ear/nose/throat Doc. told me my ears were fine. Just some scars from when I had tubes in them as a child. I truely appreciate your concern and prayers and I will return them as well. I keep researching our conditions and if anything changes I will definately let you know. Hope you find peace of mind and a relief from your misery. Just know there are many of us out here with these problems and nothing but faith keeping us going.. Take care
SCP

An_190552 replied to shawnp1980's response:
What actually do they do with the tilt table....it sounds like it would really trigger the vertigo....it doesnt take much for me to get mine going....even my eyes are starting to bother me....they feel so werid and light sensitive....its like they have been dilated at the dr office and all the light is coming in.....its driving me nuts....its just so weird feeling that its effecting my nerves bad...I have enough anxiety and then this on top of it and the dizziness...Oh well just have to learn to cope I guess...I hope the propranlol does the trick for you and totally gets rid of your dizziness....you mentioned aspirin...what does the aspririn to for dizziness or is that just for protected your heart? I pray we all get over vertigo...it is such bad stuff and makes you feel horrible all the time...take care and keep us informed on your condition....I wish you the best...

basir replied to An_190551's response:
I have pain top of head and tingling and numbness since 1995 sometimes it good somestimes its very bad. When im driving a car an when i get to red light i cant wait till the light get green it drinve me nuts. I went to nurlgest and cigytrest the pain came from my back goes to my neck an in my upper head.The doctor told me this is stress. I take lexapro ever night. But i dont think it will help me. But in my life im very stable. But i dont no where all this stress in enxity came from. I need help please.

Caprice_WebMD_Staff replied to basir's response:
Hi Basir and welcome to WebMD,

I encourage you to start your own new discussion to share what's going on with you and get some guidance from our expert and others here.

To do that, hold your cursor over the orange Post Now button on the upper right and choose 'Discussion' from the drop down menu which appears. Fill in the subject line and body of the message (you can ignore the poll part if you want) and Submit.
We never touch people so lightly that we do not leave a trace. ~Peggy Tabor Millin

ashley14316 replied to An_190551's response:
Hi,

I was reading your post...I had a lot of the same symptoms, I get extremely dizzy when I stand up or in one place for a long time. Also, my heartrate sitting at times goes into the 150-160 and standing 180s. It starts to make me feel anxious and sick. Went to docs for about a year with no answer. Had the tilt table test done and passed out turns out I have POTS. you may want to look into it with your doctor. The tilt table test is not that bad, boring. you lay flat on a table for like 30 mins while they get your baseline stats and then they stand you up on with the table just incase you passout and then you just stand there for around 30 mins and they watch your heart rate, blood pressure and some other thing.

Good luck

dpain13 replied to Caprice_WebMD_Staff's response:
haI am new to this and equally sad for these people and excited for some help. January 2013 I started with the pins and needles all over my head as well as a knife jabbed into the top of my skull. I've gone to my doctor many times, many different optometrists, an ophthalmologist and a neurologist but to no avail, no problems found. I even wound up in the emerg on my anniversary because the tingling and dizziness and myriad of other symptoms described above leave me literally unable to speak and my husband panicked at seeing this happening to me and my inability to communicate coherently scared the heck out of him. They did a CT, clean, and gave me T3's and Maxeran, neither helped, and home I went the same way I'd arrived. My doctor tried Elavil, didn't help and I became a zombie. Then she tried Lyrica, 75mg twice a day, this toned down the prickles and dizziness for 4 weeks then it came back with a vengeance. She raised the dose to 100mg twice a day last week, this toned things down a bit again, but for how long?? I also take 10mg of Maxeran at the first signs of dizziness. I have trouble swallowing when I'm dizzy but must eat for health but after eating I am dizzier. My muscles in my head and neck pull very tight, it feels like my teeth are being pulled into my brain and my eyes are being pulled onto the back of my head, it is very painful and of course my vision gets "messy". My body feels very heavy, my gait get slow and draggy, my speech gets slurred, my eyes get extremely dry and bloodshot, my neck gets very tight, my stomach hurts and it feels like there are knives stabbing the back of my eyeballs. It's been 7 months of this and I really can't take it anymore, can someone please, please help me and these other people, please. I also had to quit my job, can't drive myself anywhere and do not ever leave my house, I honestly feel that I've gone crazy and I can't do it much longer.

dpain13 responded:
hey birdmadgirl, are you still around. I am having the exact same symptoms as you and would love to have someone to talk to who can relate. I posted 2 weeks ago, see dpain, that's me and I'm going looney feeling like the only person in the world going through this. Have you found a solution, I hope so for your sake. Maybe you have some tips to share? Hope you're OK

reesie24 replied to An_190550's response:
have u ever been tested for TMJ (temporal medibular joint disorder) its in the jaw and causes sooo many symptoms just like these!

dpain13 replied to reesie24's response:
I don't know if you're responding to everyone or not but I am certainly going to look into it. I am still in the same boat as before. In fact things have been getting much worse, vision is going very wonky, can't keep binocular vision anymore and migraines are coming on stronger and more frequent than ever. Pretty depressed.

Featuring Experts

Reid Wilson, PhD is an international expert in the treatment of anxiety disorders, with books translated into nine languages. He is author of Don...More

Helpful Tips

Dr. Farrell's WebMD TV videosExpert
Dr. Farrell has a series of 12 videos that cover everything from your need for sleep, inheriting anxiety disorders, positive self-talk and ... More
Was this Helpful?
68 of 85 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.