Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Includes Expert Content
anxiety
brendaauclair posted:
Hi, my daughter is 15 and breaks out in hives at least twice a week and has had numerous panic attacks, I don't want to put her on medication what should I do?

Patricia Farrell, PhD responded:
The first thing that needs to be done is she needs to have a medical evaluation to be sure that there is no medical problem that needs attention. Next, I would think that an evaluation with an experienced cognitive psychologist should be considered prior to her being placed on any medication. My approach is always the most conservative one and I believe this is what you would want, too.

I hope things do work out well for you and your daughter and that it is just a matter of learning some self-help techniques, perhaps, in social situations.

Featuring Experts

Reid Wilson, PhD is an international expert in the treatment of anxiety disorders, with books translated into nine languages. He is author of Don...More

Helpful Tips

Dr. Farrell's WebMD TV videosExpert
Dr. Farrell has a series of 12 videos that cover everything from your need for sleep, inheriting anxiety disorders, positive self-talk and ... More
Was this Helpful?
68 of 85 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.