Skip to content
Includes Expert Content
Chest palpatations while laying down
melissa197724 posted:
Does anyone have heart palpatations while laying down at night? This just started within the past year (I am 33) and it freaks me out. I don't know if this is a heart attack or panic attack or what but it scares me a lot (I have a history of heart disease in my family - my uncle had his first heart attack when he was 34 laying on the beach in Hawaii). I told my physician about this but he didn't seem to be concerned, and that concerned me. Am I freaking out for no reason? Any info would be great, thanks!

RebeccaSoFla responded:
SVTs and PACs are very very common when laying down. This forum has a lot of GREAT info on your concern http://www.medhelp.org/posts/Heart-Disease/palpitations-when-laying-down/show/251047

Patricia Farrell, PhD responded:
I'm not an M.D., but I think this should not be dismissed and I would wonder why there wouldn't be a further evaluation to ensure there is nothing wrong. I say this especially because you have indicated that there is a family history of heart disease and that you had an uncle who died prematurely from this. Family histories are not to be taken lightly and usually are good indicators of things that need to be closely monitored. You might want to get a second opinion on this.

Sometimes, people can experience increased heart rate when they lie down because they have a certain level of anxiety, but I am never willing to accept this until everything else has been ruled out medically. For this reason, I mentioned my concerns and the fact that you may want to consider getting a second opinion.

You may be experiencing more stress than you realize during the day and, also for that reason, I am suggesting that you begin to learn how to do relaxation breathing. This is in our Tips column where we do have a video which will take you through the steps you need to know.

I hope everything does turn out okay and it is, in fact, stress-related anxiety

Featuring Experts

Reid Wilson, PhD is an international expert in the treatment of anxiety disorders, with books translated into nine languages. He is author of Don...More

Helpful Tips

keep calm
taking it one day at a time helps me with my anxiety. More
Was this Helpful?
2 of 2 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.