Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
9 Year Old Daughter's Anxiety
Anon_235324 posted:
My nine year old daughter has always been one to get easily stressed out. We have always considered her a bit quirky (actually we considered her to be on the 'ocd' side of being 'type a') but thats all we thought it to be. First let me say that she is a very good student and is quite rule-oriented, and does not like it when others break the rules. She is intelligent, quick-witted and has no behavior problems outside our house. Her teachers and coaches just love her to death. She is a very talented athlete and can pick up any sport withing hours of being introduced to it. She is very shy when we try to introduce her to people, however, makes friends quite easily at school. Although, she does get very attached to the friends that she makes, which has us somewhat concerned.

At home, however, it is a far different story. She does not like anyone to touch her belongings, or enter her space. I would say that >90% of the time she is very sweet, caring and is fun to be around. Unfortunately, she is very quick to lose her temper at home. She does not communicate her feelings very well, and does not like to talk about her feelings, which I think is why she loses her temper. She can be quite controlling of her younger brother (also has one older sister). As long as her brother follows her rules, they play great together, and this is most of the time. She gets along well with her sister but, when her sister's friends come over, she will not leave them alone (I think all little sisters do this though).

We have, as long as I can remember, had issues at bedtime. She asks numerous questions before we can do our nightly prayer and she can go to sleep. These questions revolve around: getting enough sleep, not being tired in the morning, not being the last one to fall asleep, not having stress or bad thoughts, or worries, etc.. She also does not like anything to change and will fight any change. Well, her sister, that she shares a room with, left for college and moved out of her room two weeks ago. We rearranged her room and painted it to make it her 'new' room, but she absolutely lost it. She has been absolutely horrible for the past two weeks. She revisits the change every day and it has been a constant battle. I would just change the room back but I think it is time to address the underlying issue since it was such an event. I want to prevent her from having issues down the road when I am not able to do anything about it.

She knows that she gets 'stressed' easily but can't prevent it from happening. We said that we think it would be good for her to speak with someone to help her with her stress but she wants no part of it. I have tried looking via Google for anything that we can try to help her on our own but nothing jumped out. I am a 'problem fixer' at work but am lost in this situation and feel helpless.

Any suggestions or direction would be welcome.

momuv4girls responded:
I would highly suggest a professional. I would do some homework and find a really good (preferably female) Child Psychologist to help your daughter.

I would ask her pedi, talk to friends, call around and find a really good Dr.

When looking for my daughters psychologist, I called them on the phone and set up a visit with only myself at first, because I wanted to make sure she was a good fit for my daughter - - its totally fine to first "interview" the prospective Dr. before bringing your daughter in.

Good luck Mom, and take care ((HUGS))
-Kathleen

Featuring Experts

Reid Wilson, PhD is an international expert in the treatment of anxiety disorders, with books translated into nine languages. He is author of Don...More

Helpful Tips

Dr. Farrell's WebMD TV videosExpert
Dr. Farrell has a series of 12 videos that cover everything from your need for sleep, inheriting anxiety disorders, positive self-talk and ... More
Was this Helpful?
68 of 85 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.