Skip to content
Includes Expert Content
Anxiety in a 9 year old
ChantaJG posted:
So my son is suffering from major anxiety. He worries about everything. He worries about getting struck by lightening when there's a storm. He worries about loosing a family member, about being in a wreck when we are in the car, about robbers coming in at night when he's sleeping......... It's been affecting his stomach and he panics about stuff all the time. He's also very sensitive emotionally and takes everything personally. I'm just at a loss on how to deal with this.

I met with a counselor and attempted that route, but I did not have a good feeling about the guy. Any suggestions????
momuv4girls responded:
I would find a really good Child Psychologist to see your son - not your run of the mill counselor.

momuv4girls responded:
I also found this helpful link for your to explore:

Hope this helps you and your son get the treatment he needs!

Take care,
Patricia Farrell, PhD responded:
It sounds like your son does have a problem related to anxiety and I would think that he should be in some form of therapy with a child psychologist who may also involve you in some of the sessions.

I would hope that you have had him checked out by his pediatrician to ensure that there are no medical problems that need attention. This is one step I always tell everyone to take before entering any type of therapy.

My expertise is not with children per se but there are certain steps to be taken whenever someone is considering any type of therapy whether for themselves or for their children. In my book, How to Be Your Own Therapist, I have a chapter that is devoted to the things that you need to look for when selecting a therapist. You might consider reading that chapter as you make a selection for your son's therapist. Obviously, you want someone who is experienced, licensed as a psychologist, has the appropriate training to work with children who have excessive anxiety and who may be recommended to you by a friend who may have a child in therapy.

Many people offer services, but, as you did indicate, just because they offer services doesn't mean they will be a good match for you. You have to know they are competent, licensed and you have to feel comfortable with them. Don't depend on the certificates on the wall to tell you much about someone's abilities. Certificates are easily obtained and mean little unless they certify that the person has had training at an exceptionally accredited institution of higher education as well as a well-regarded internship. You are purchasing a service and you should be getting the service for which you contracted.

I hope that this does provide some help for you and that you do find a psychologist who will prove to be an effective clinician for your son.

Featuring Experts

Reid Wilson, PhD is an international expert in the treatment of anxiety disorders, with books translated into nine languages. He is author of Don...More

Helpful Tips

Dr. Farrell's WebMD TV videosExpert
Dr. Farrell has a series of 12 videos that cover everything from your need for sleep, inheriting anxiety disorders, positive self-talk and ... More
Was this Helpful?
68 of 85 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

  • Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.