Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Includes Expert Content
New drugs for anxiety?
jujulang posted:
I had a major panic attack last night that took me out of here in an ambulance which was very embarrasing to say the least. It woke me up out of a sound sleep and did not feel like my panic attacks of 25 yrs ago. Of course with menopaus and hot flashes already, it was hard to determine that this wasn't part of that, but I also had chest flutters, dizziness and of course shortness of breath. At 53 yrs old, I guess you can't take a chance with the heart.
My list of issues are long, I have some issues with vertigo which is a left over result of a bad inner ear virus 6 yrs ago, IBS-C predomoninant, gastritis,headaches with sinus problems, and now menopause issues to go with it all. I guess it should be no wonder that I am having anxiety again.
Anyway, I have been taking 15 mg celexa for 3 years now and I was taking xanax at bedtime but my dr was really balking at prescribing that for me, so I just stopped taking it.
I'm looking for some guidance regarding meds for this. If you guys have any suggestions that would be great.
Thanks.

Patricia Farrell, PhD responded:
I'm sorry, but I'm not an M.D. and I can't suggest any medications for you. I certainly understand your current problem and what you have been facing with a number of physical problems and symptoms. If your PCP has been reluctant to continue the bedtime medication that you were taking, what is this physician suggesting you do, since it seems that you do need something to help you to sleep? I'm not suggesting a sleep medication per se because we know there are a number of problems with these if they are taken chronically.

One thing that you might want to look into is to check the websites of major medical centers for sleep information and, specifically, sleep hygiene. Sleep hygiene in simple terms means the things that you should do and not do prior to going to sleep and the type of environment in which you should sleep. There are some simple, straightforward rules and I think it would be helpful for you to review these.

I hope there is some resolution regarding medications, if indicated, and that you do feel better very soon. Of course, I would also recommend that you use relaxation breathing on a regular basis. We do have this in our Tips column.

Featuring Experts

Reid Wilson, PhD is an international expert in the treatment of anxiety disorders, with books translated into nine languages. He is author of Don...More

Helpful Tips

MRI/ NECK PAIN
I AM LEAVING WITH MULTIPLE SCLEROSIS I HAVE HAD HIP AND NECK PAIN WENT TO GET A MRI THEY SAW LESSIONS ON MY BRAIN I HAVE MS BUT IT DOES NOT ... More
Was this Helpful?
0 of 0 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.