Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Includes Expert Content
Depression/anxiety pain affecting my job & school
MissCaptainKirk posted:
I've been going through a lot of very hard things in my life and as it keeps getting harder, my body hurts more and more.
I went through something traumatic last week and since then have felt sick to my stomach. My whole body hurts. I have to hold all my emotions in throughout the day, I work full time and go to school. At night I cry uncontrollably and have panic attacks. Sometimes at work or school I have them too and I have to hide in the bathroom. Everything hurts so bad, I feel like I'm being tortured. The pain never leaves now.
I can't eat, I can't sleep. It's really hard to focus on work and school. I'm afraid I might get fired, and I don't want to get fired bcuz I love my job, I'd rather be here than at home. I'm afraid I'm going to fail my classes, and this is my last semester and I really want to graduate.
I'm already on medication but my doctor said medication can only help so much, but if you have extreme stress then no medicine could cure it.

Does anyone know what I should do? Has anyone had this problem and found a solution for dealing with it? I really need to get this under control.
Thank you.

P.S. I posted this on the Depression sight too, not looking for attention just looking for all the help I can get.

Patricia Farrell, PhD responded:
Your doctor is correct in one regard; medication can only do so much. Medication is really only half of the treatment plan and the other half is cognitive therapy and I didn't see that you had been referred to anyone. Please consider either getting a referral or calling the local psychologists' association in your state. They can provide you with the names of several psychologists in your area.

In the meantime, you can also begin to do some things for yourself. Take a look at our Tips column, watch the video on relaxation breathing and learn to use that technique several times a day or as much as you need, as long as you don't make yourself dizzy by overdoing it. It can be very effective. In addition to the relaxation breathing, I would recommend that you begin to do some type of exercise, even if it's in the office while seated in your chair or in your home. Also in the Tips column we do have exercises that you can do in many locations and they don't take very much time. Exercise has a dramatic physical effect on your body which can lower your stress level, lower your anxiety level and even help your immune system to keep you healthy. It is an overall tonic for making yourself feel better and keeping yourself healthy. Please do that right away.

Also, begin to use positive self talk and to help yourself calm yourself down with this. You indicated that you love your job and that's great. You are also going to graduate, but even though graduation is a wonderful event, it can be a stressful time and that may be one of the things that is contributing to how you're feeling now. You also indicated that something quite traumatic had happened and I think this needs to be discussed with the psychologist.

I hope you do feel much better very soon.

Dr. Farrell

Featuring Experts

Reid Wilson, PhD is an international expert in the treatment of anxiety disorders, with books translated into nine languages. He is author of Don...More

Helpful Tips

Dr. Farrell's WebMD TV videosExpert
Dr. Farrell has a series of 12 videos that cover everything from your need for sleep, inheriting anxiety disorders, positive self-talk and ... More
Was this Helpful?
68 of 85 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.