Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Includes Expert Content
Vitamins or Herbs or other Natural Supplements to Help Reduce Anxiety?
my6one posted:
Are there any Vitamins or Herbs or other Natural Supplements to Help Reduce Anxiety?

Just wondering as I would like to supplement the Klonopin I am currently taking.

Thanks to all who respond.

Patricia Farrell, PhD responded:
Whenever you are taking a prescription medication of any type, it is not wise to begin using any supplements without consulting the person who was prescribing your medication. Often, even with supplements that are believed to be helpful, there can be adverse interactions and problems, especially with your liver. Your liver is the main highway in your body through which everything must pass. Some supplements may set up blocks and prevent your medication from being broken down adequately and this can lead to problems. Also, there is no FDA regulation regarding how supplements are made and it is, therefore, a caveat emptor type situation where "let the buyer beware" is in force.

I believe you should discuss this with your prescriber.

Dr. Farrell

my6one replied to Patricia Farrell, PhD's response:
Thank you Dr, Farrell. So appreciative of your time and response. This makes perfect sense to me and will talk with my physician who prescribed the Clonazapam.

I am trying to reduce my symptoms of Depersonalization and trying to reduce my anxiety through whatever means necessary but safe.

He also prescribed Zoloft for me and starting it tomorrow. Do you have any opinion using Zoloft and Clonopin together?

Thanks again!

Patricia Farrell, PhD replied to my6one's response:
I am not an M.D., so I really can't give you an opinion regarding taking these 2 medications together. Many times your pharmacist, whenever a problematic combination is prescribed, will alert you to this and suggest you speak to your doctor. You can also go to the FDA.gov site and see if they have posted any notices regarding taking these medications together. Sometimes there are letters sent out to physicians regarding certain medications and the inadvisability of prescribing them together. I don't know if this is the case with your two medications, but you might want to check their occasionally.

Dr. Farrell

bbwlover1975 responded:
well i see you posted over a year ago you must have got better

Featuring Experts

Reid Wilson, PhD is an international expert in the treatment of anxiety disorders, with books translated into nine languages. He is author of Don...More

Helpful Tips

Talk to GOD!!!!
There is no question that anxiety and anxiety disorders are in fact painful, and yet very natural occurrences in life. Unfortunately, they ... More
Was this Helpful?
2 of 3 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.