Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Includes Expert Content
Sam-E recommended by Dr. Weil on Dr. Oz!
Anon_963 posted:
I posted on the depression board too. Is this OTC med. used alot as far as anyone here knows? I know Dr. Weil is a highly respected 'holistic' doctor and did recommend it on Dr. Oz this week for mild to moderate depression. I've searched the web and found out it appears to be safe with the meds I take. I got some today--took one and have felt like I did when I took an anti-depressant the first time. Sort of 'wired' and wonder if this is how you feel at first?
I take Valium 2 mg. 2 times daily for an inner ear condition--not for depression. It helps stabilize the problem with the ear.
I talke b/p meds and have checked and found no contraindications on any with the Sam-E. Also have read up on the product itself and it appears to be safe. Does any of the medical folks here on this site or others who may have taken it, have any advise to share about it?

I'm not bipolar! I have episodes of feeling really down and cry at the least things--all beginning with the health issue with the ear and loss of loved ones in death in the last couple of years. I'm in my low 70's and healthy other than the ear and moderate high b/p which I take meds for. Thanks again. Hoping this can help as I cannot tolerate anti-depressants--I tried 2 well known ones--Lexapro and Cymbalta.

Patricia Farrell, PhD responded:
I am not an M.D., but I know that any medical professional would not recommend anyone taking a supplement without 1st checking with their PCP. To do otherwise would be considered an unacceptable recommendation.

TV shows are intended to provide a platform for people who either have products, books or other things to sell (one being maintaining a high profile) and should not be seen as offering advice without reservation. The particular TV show to which you are referring is an entertainment production and should never substitute for a face-to-face medical evaluation. Dr. Oz is a surgeon, not a person specializing in any type of medication.

I would suggest you discuss this with whoever is prescribing your medication.

Anon_963 replied to Patricia Farrell, PhD's response:
Thanks so much for your response.
I intend to mention this to my Primary doctor--still, I do, as I said, respect the advise I've read and heard from the programs of Dr. Oz.
I realize he's a heart surgeon but he seems to go to alot of effort to give 'helpful' and most importantly--correct advise and has many doctors from all areas of health care on his program. I have done some research on this OTC herbal med and about 85 % has been encouraging. That is why I wanted to see what the WebMD boards had to say.
I am not one to just take something or not take something, based on something I 'heard' about on TV, etc. I do research and have a good 'layman's' understanding of medical terms, etc. having worked in a hospital setting for many years. Again thank you so much for your suggestions.

Patricia Farrell, PhD replied to Anon_963's response:
It's always good to be an informed consumer and I believe that's what you are doing. Hope everything works out with your PCP on this.

Featuring Experts

Reid Wilson, PhD is an international expert in the treatment of anxiety disorders, with books translated into nine languages. He is author of Don...More

Helpful Tips

Talk to GOD!!!!
There is no question that anxiety and anxiety disorders are in fact painful, and yet very natural occurrences in life. Unfortunately, they ... More
Was this Helpful?
2 of 3 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.