Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Includes Expert Content
Auditory hallucinations coupled with heightened anxiety
MrCanz posted:
Recently I've been experiencing auditory hallucinations in the middle of the night. The sounds that I hear are short but extremely loud. The sounds I've been hearing have been a horn, buzzer, bell, and a low note on a violin. Coupled with these hallucinations is a rapid heart beat, rush of adrenaline, heightened anxiety, fear of going back to sleep, and a general sense of uneasiness. The frequency of these episodes seem to be random and from what I'm able to piece together, not linked with any significant happenings in my life (example: stressful day at work) as I am happy and content thus far in the journey.

I'm not sure if this is the right community to be asking this question but I would appreciate any input.

Thank you

Patricia Farrell, PhD responded:
I'm not sure, either, what might be causing these sounds at night when you are trying to sleep and I would think that the 1st thing you need to do is see your PCP. You may need a referral to an ENT doctor for further evaluation. I'm not an M.D., but this may be something to do with your ears. However, you do need to see your PCP and be checked out.

I can certainly understand how upset you would be if you are hearing these sounds and that it would create an uneasiness in you and difficulty getting back to sleep. That's normal.

Please see your PCP and I hope that everything can be taken care off satisfactorily.

Dr. Farrell

Featuring Experts

Reid Wilson, PhD is an international expert in the treatment of anxiety disorders, with books translated into nine languages. He is author of Don...More

Helpful Tips

Talk to GOD!!!!
There is no question that anxiety and anxiety disorders are in fact painful, and yet very natural occurrences in life. Unfortunately, they ... More
Was this Helpful?
2 of 3 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.