Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Includes Expert Content
anxiety in 9 year old daughter
Anon_53586 posted:
Hi, My almost 10 year old daughter has GAD. I do not want to put her on medication. How do I help her out of a panic attack? Are there any homeopathic helps? I need to do something to help her...several relatives also have GAD. One has reccommended medication because it helped them at this age. Any suggestions would be great.

Thanks!

Patricia Farrell, PhD responded:
I can understand that with a family history of GAD that people might be suggesting things that have helped them with that disorder. I know they mean well, but I believe that you are seeking a more conservative approach than giving your daughter medication at this point.

I am not an M.D., but a psychologist and I do not recommend anything in the way of either medication or OTC products. What I would think might be a good idea is for you to have an evaluation with a child psychologist and then see where you go from there.

I know this must be very distressing for both you and your daughter and I do hope that it works out well with the child psychologist.

Dr. Farrell

craftlockes replied to Patricia Farrell, PhD's response:
Hi and thank you for your response. Thank you also for your support in not medicatiing at this time. Since I wrote my first post, I noticed that this is about the 3rd time she has had a combination tantrum/panic attack. All times triggered by something seemingly small. These have occurred about a month apart. I am wondering if hitting puberty and her hormones preparing for a cycle could trigger these episodes. Normally, her anxiety is related to worry about my safety, and other similar situations. She will also, on occassion, have anxiety about something we are having for dinner..whether we have had it before or not. When she has to get a shot (flu or vaccine) we have to walk around outside the building and use breathing exercises to get her calme enough to go in. Once she is done, she is so happy. I am trying to understand the disorder so that I can help her as much as possible. I want to try to give her tools to help manage her anxiety. So far she has been accepting, knowing that she has this and is not alone in it. She is very reluctant to go to a doctor or other professional reagrding it though. We will have to start talking to her about it to give her time to get used to the idea and be ok with it.

Sorry for rambling on, but it is a relief to know that I can get sound advice that is not biased by personal experience.

Thanks again and have a good day.

Patricia Farrell, PhD replied to craftlockes's response:
It sounds like you are quite understanding of your daughter's anxiety and are really doing many things that are helpful to her. Yes, the fact that she is now hitting puberty may have some effect on her. We certainly know that hormone fluctuations can cause changes in anxiety level and mood.

Although she is reluctant to go to any professional, I think that once she has been helped to understand that this person wants to talk to her and to help her, she will feel less anxious. I'm sure that it is anxiety that is causing her to experience this reluctance. After all, it is something unknown, she doesn't know what will happen or what to expect and, in these types of situations, she becomes anxious. You've already indicated that when you are having a food which she may never have had before, she exhibits anxiety around this also. That tells me that anything that is unusual, unknown or can cause a problem (such as an allergic reaction) causes her a great deal of concern.

No, you didn't ramble and your input was very helpful. Look for a child psychologist through a referral from someone who may have taken their child to that person, if possible. The selection of this person is important and your daughter needs to feel comfortable with whoever is going to work with her on her anxiety. Usually, you can ask someone for a brief in-office visit to see if this person might be suitable. Of course, your daughter should be involved in this selection.

I hope things do work out for the both of you very soon.

Dr. Farrell

Thanks again for your input! Much prayer and homework to be done. I do have a friend who might know of a professional, so I will talk to her about it. Have a great day and I will post again hopefully with some good news.

Your daughter is wonderfully blessed to have such a concerned mother looking out for her. I hope that the referral that you can get to the child psychologist also works out well.

Thanks. I only have the awareness about it because of the members in our family that have gone through it and continue to do so. I do not want her to suffer..I know it won't be easy for her, but I believe that the more we can teach her now, the better she will be prepared as she grows up.

Thanks again for your support and input!

You are right on target with this. Hope it all turns out very well for all of you.

Featuring Experts

Reid Wilson, PhD is an international expert in the treatment of anxiety disorders, with books translated into nine languages. He is author of Don...More

Helpful Tips

Exercise you can doExpert
Exercise is one of the most beneficial self-help techniques we know of today and more and more research is indicating its usefulness in ... More
Was this Helpful?
57 of 77 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.