Skip to content
Includes Expert Content
Weight Loss due to Anxiety/Panic Attacks
dashow34 posted:
I am concerned a bit because i have lost about 15 pounds in about 2 1/2 months. I am not sure if this is typical with panic attacks and or alprazolam. I don't have much of an appetite these days but the weight loss has scared me into eating at least 3 meals a day. Is there anyone else noticing weight loss as a result of panic attacks or medication ?

Is this normal ?

ane21 responded:
When i started having anxiety one of my symptons was that i felt my stomach very tight because of the nervousness. So i couldn't barely eat because i would vomit. I went to psychiatrist who prescribed me lorazepam and my symptons almost disappear, i gain weigth but as the nervousness comes and go i haven?t been able to get back to the weigth i had before the anxiety. So, i don't think it is a consequence of the medication but of the anxiety.

Patricia Farrell, PhD responded:
Depending on which medication you are using, for example the SSRIs, appetite can be suppressed and you will lose weight during the 1st couple of weeks of taking these medications. You should, however, talk to your prescriber about this since you are indicating your weight loss has occurred over 2 1/2 months. This needs to be checked out and your medications reevaluated.

Anxiety can, in many instances, also affect your appetite. Some people lose their appetite entirely and other people begin eating excessively. There's no way to know which way it will go, but it can be driven by anxiety. In your case, there is a combination of both medications and anxiety which may be causing some of your weight loss.

As I said, please discuss this with your prescriber.

Featuring Experts

Reid Wilson, PhD is an international expert in the treatment of anxiety disorders, with books translated into nine languages. He is author of Don...More

Helpful Tips

Lexapro
My dr. just prescribe me Lexapro.. i just feel nervous taking it. does anyone have any thoughts about it. More
Was this Helpful?
3 of 8 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.