Skip to content
Includes Expert Content
Too Much Worry
NeedToTalkGuy posted:
Hello, im a 21 year old male that has battled with depression for what seems like forever.. I never really had problems with anxiety up until about 2 weeks ago when i thought i lost my best friend and I had a panic attack.. my heart seemed like it was going to explode on the spot so i tried very hard to calm myself down so i wouldnt have a heart attack..

It seems like since then im experiencing physical problems with my body, can stress and anxiety do that?

I cant stop worrying over EVERYTHING..
I havnt had an appetite at all but i force myself to eat a little..
My stool is lighter and softer than ive ever been used to..
Im experiencing what i think is GERD..
My urge to have bowel movements has increased even though im eating less.. strange?
My stomach constantly gurgles and rumbles im assuming is from lack of food..

Patricia Farrell, PhD responded:
Have you been to see your PCP? Sounds like you have quite a scare and it has hit you hard, but you can recover. First see the MD, then start using some self-help techniques (see our Tips column) with relaxation breathing.

Stress can certainly do everything that you are describing and now is the time to begin to work toward reducing it.

Stress and anxiety can hit your GI tract pretty hard and that's probably why you're having the sx. you are right now. I'm not an MD, but I've seen this and the loss of appetite is also a sign of anxiety. Some people eat an incredible amount and others lose their appetite completely. No one knows why it goes either way.

Get checked out and begin to work on this. You may want to consider some brief cognitive therapy, too.

Dr. Farrell

mr2141 responded:
your not alone. When anxiety hits me it usually comes along with depression. I have the same stomach problems as you have. I have to go to the bathroom more often than normal and I loose weight. When you suffer like this you think your the only one going thru that. Antidepressants work well to control most os the symptoms but it take awhile, just be patient. What has helped me somewhat is taking one immodium AD before bedtime and it helps to not go to the bathroom as much. Ask your doctor if you can do that. It works for me.

Featuring Experts

Reid Wilson, PhD is an international expert in the treatment of anxiety disorders, with books translated into nine languages. He is author of Don...More

Helpful Tips

Progressive Muscle RelaxationExpert
In addition to relaxation breathing and guided imagery, one great self-help technique that you can use anywhere (even while sitting in a ... More
Was this Helpful?
14 of 24 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.