Skip to content
Includes Expert Content
ANXIETY/NERVOUS BREAKDOWN
doxielover10 posted:
My Doctor saw me when I was breaking down, the sores, shaking so much, it was visible across the room, speech problems.

I have been housebound for almost a year, because every time I go out I get an infection. When I was covered from head to toe with bloody sores, the biopsy indicated that at that point it's the worse it can be. Staying home with my babies, doing breathing techniques has helped. However, every time I even start to get anxious I visibly shake and my speech is distorted.

I had been sick so long, I don't know what a reference it would be, I had absolutely no idea how much weight I was gaining. I call it the tunnel, it was disassociating as bad as it gets.

I had to renew my license, so we went and it was OK, we stopped for lunch, Beall's is right across the street. Rick said "let's go to Bealls so you can see all the new clothes". I only buy some flats and a bunch of flowered dresses for the summer. I was looking at the clothes and I got so dizzy, my knees were shaking so bad I could not walk.I had gotten another migraine (a migraine every day for 3 weeks). I was hanging onto the dress rack, praying I was not going to pass out. I started to go and everything went black, just then Rick grabbed me
and literally carried me to the car. I was back to shaking like when I had the breakdown. My Doctor says I have a serious anxiety disorder
and given I only have 30% kidney function, he's reluctant to give me any more medication. I am so scared, is my life over ? I'm a young woman.

Patricia Farrell, PhD responded:
I am not an M.D., but considering the amount of anxiety that you are experiencing and your medical condition, it seems that behavioral techniques would be the best thing for you. One thing that also needs to be explored is how your kidney functioning might be bringing on some of these attacks. This is something that needs to be discussed with whoever is treating you for your kidney malfunction.

I can understand how difficult this must be for all of you, especially for you since you do feel housebound. The thing which I believe you need to do is to find a cognitive psychologist who can work with you on learning ways to help yourself to remain calm. This is something that can be done and you will learn what you will be able to do to help yourself.

You should also discuss with your PCP how much exercise you might be able to do and to ask for a referral, possibly, for some physical rehab which will make you feel much better and will also help you to handle weight gain.

No, your life is not over and things will improve.

Featuring Experts

Reid Wilson, PhD is an international expert in the treatment of anxiety disorders, with books translated into nine languages. He is author of Don...More

Helpful Tips

keep calm
taking it one day at a time helps me with my anxiety. More
Was this Helpful?
2 of 2 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.