Skip to content
Includes Expert Content
MEDICARE
doxielover10 posted:
I have had paralyzing migraines for years. I went to see my Doctor today because of my falling, dizziness and excruciating pain during these episodes. I hit my head so hard the other day, I was bleeding all over the place. I have taken a miryard of medications, some did nothing, others worked, but only short term.

A friend called today and she told me that Medicare will pay for Botox for migraines. I looked it up on Google and it is true. Dr. Farrell, you have been through a lot with me, so I wanted to know what your thoughts are. With bipolar meds, anxiety meds, ADhD meds. Do you have any knowledge that Botox will work ?

As far as your other question, I have been on Disability for a long time.
I did it through an Attorney, and I was approved in a few weeks.

Patricia Farrell, PhD responded:
I have seen the literature that is indicating Botox may be helpful for migraines and certain types of throat disorders, but I do not know what the current thinking of those at Medicare is regarding whether or not this is considered an acceptable procedure or an experimental one. I would think that whatever physician you are considering to administer these injections could have a staff member call to find out if Medicare will pay for this type of treatment. It's always best to know beforehand.

Featuring Experts

Reid Wilson, PhD is an international expert in the treatment of anxiety disorders, with books translated into nine languages. He is author of Don...More

Helpful Tips

Dr. Farrell's WebMD TV videosExpert
Dr. Farrell has a series of 12 videos that cover everything from your need for sleep, inheriting anxiety disorders, positive self-talk and ... More
Was this Helpful?
68 of 85 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.