Skip to content
May is Mental Health Month!
Caprice_WebMD_Staff posted:
What do you wish others (family, friends, co-workers) would/could understand about what it's like to struggle with anxiety? How would their understanding help you?

To those of you new here: Welcome! And if you'd like to start a new discussion in order to talk with others or get more support, hold your cursor over the orange Post Now button on the upper right and choose 'Discussion' from the drop down menu which appears. Fill in the subject line and body of the message (you can ignore the poll part if you want) and Submit.
FirstPrevious12NextLast

gonnafindaway responded:
Caprice , I think overall I wish people would understand its a real illness, or disorder. I don't want a pity party either. But when I have a panic attack or anxiety attack I don't want people to think I am strange . Or better yet they talk behind your back and say "she has mental problems". They need to know I didn't ask for this . I wish everday that i wasn't like this but it is what it is, so I accept and deal with it. If they had more knowledge of what was actually happening to me then I would be more comfortable and less anxious around them.They don't think I am strange and I don't feel so anxious. I think in general there should be more talk about mental illness disorders, its on the rise just like obesity!

Padackles720 replied to gonnafindaway's response:
I agree gonnafindaway, I think the most thing I want is understanding, which is hard if you can't make someone understand what is happening to you. most of the time I don't even know whats going on with me. I think mental illness should be talked about more, it does happen to people and it is happening now.

For me it would help tremendously if someone could just understand. it's such an uncertain time and to just have that support would be incredible.

Tinkerbell100253 responded:
I have had sever panic disorder since I was 40 and now I am 58. Also clinicly depressed. No one, except one friend who truly understands has the same feelings and understands me. My other dear friends do not understand what it is like how hard it is to even decide when to do something. Or make a decision, take a shower, make coffee with great thought and lots of baby steps. It is a very lonely world for me knowing that the true understanding is not there and they can be very critical about what is going on in my head.

I am tired of hearing "YOU JUST HAVE TO PUT YOUR MIND TO IT AND GET OUT THERE". Unless I am right with me life, then how can I be right with anything else. I also had a heart attack and have two stents because I have coronary heart disease. My finance died in 2007, a jr high school and high school sweetheart and we were truly soulmates and have not be right since. I was working part time and was truly at peace with my life. I have had about all the counseling I can take, but I just see my shrink for meds and cardiologist. Other than that, physically I am pretty healthy, except for MENAPAUSE.....................YIKES WHAT A BITE ON TOP OF BE ALONE.......ANYONE GET THIS? UNDERSTAND THIS? I THINK ALL WE WANT TO BE IS UNDERSTOOD AND THAT WOULD MAKE LIFE SO MUCH EASIER......ANY REPLY OR ANYONE THAT FEELS LIKE I DO WHOULD TRULY HELP.....................................

meriksx3 responded:
I feel incredibly alone and very distant when panic strikes. I find myself thinking negatively/pessimistically/fatally - only to a certain extent. I feel a need to move and flee from the environment I'm in at the time.
My most embarassing occurrance was on a very crowded airplane which ultimately resulted with me being allowed to "deplane" which included the Captain directing that my luggage also be off-loaded...I so completely held up the departure time of the flight.
My travelling companion had an absolute fit and told me to get my sh_t together and take my medicine and how dare I do this to her. To her? I thought what about me? I'm the one having the combined feeling of total dread and restlessness and inability to slow my thoughts and focus, combined with the knowledge and awareness of how I affected others and the embarassment and humiliation I caused her and myself. I was made to feel guilty. That ignorance has since been rectified between us, but for a period of time she considered me to be crazy - or, conversly - acting like a baby. It was something I needed to "snap out" of, like it could be so regulated. I continue to have the unpredicability of the onset of a panic attack and the resultant feelings of anxiousnes, restlessness, and immediate need to get someplace else. Usually that's outdoors. People need to know that panic and anxiety is not imaginary and that it's vividly real and my ability to combat it must be physically immediate when it's severe enough that I can't mentally get to a "happy place" and refocus..And the physical affects of feeling like crying, having a lump in my throat, racing heartbeat, sweating, shaking, stuttering, and being slow to respond to questioning takes a while to "decompress" from. I think I'd just like acknowledgement and reassurance in the form of a "I'm here if you need me" kind of statement. Ridicule sure doesn't work.

gonnafindaway replied to Tinkerbell100253's response:
I feel that way. I am 34 and have 2 small children . and the school always has a function that i cannot attend becuase i simply will have a panic attack and i am afraid i will embaress my son. i always see the "soccer moms" smiling happy doing all these things with there kids and i can try my hardest to do them but it doesnt always turn out good. and i find myself lying alot i will do and say almost anything to get away from somewhere if im having a panic attack. i'll even blame it on the kids. for example ill have a panic attack in the car while picking him up from school and i can't leave him there so i'll run in really fast and say i have to pick him up he has doctor apt. isn't that horrible. my disdorder has actually impacted my sons school attendance!

Caprice_WebMD_Staff responded:
To those of you new here... thank you for dropping in and sharing your thoughts on this. I'm glad you found us.

If you'd like to start a new discussion in order to talk with others or get more support, hold your cursor over the orange Post Now button on the upper right and choose 'Discussion' from the drop down menu which appears. Fill in the subject line and body of the message (you can ignore the poll part if you want) and Submit.

Telly24 responded:
I have had Panic Attacks ever since 1st grade im currently 16, Im very interested in any information you would give about calming my anxiety which seems impossible but love hearing im not alone in this battle

Caprice_WebMD_Staff replied to Telly24's response:
Hi Telly and welcome here,

I hope you'll start a new discussion on the board so others can more easily find your post and respond, including our own Dr. Farrell.

jankearney123 responded:
what happened to my post here?

EEgranny replied to meriksx3's response:
I have had to dump some "friends" such as the one on the plane with you. Who needs someone like that? I have frequent anxiety problems,especially if I have to talk on the telephone. It even bothers me if I have to talk to my son or daughter on a holiday. I feel a strong sense of dread and stomach illness, even though I want to talk to them. I am very lonely. I become anxious if I have to go to an informal get-together, so I have complete sympathy with you. I have tried therapy, but it didn't work for me.I have taken medication, but that is for short-term or rare occassions such as my Mom's funeral when I had to get through it. Prayer helps me to hang in. I hope you find some help. Good wishes to you. You are not alone. Jan

AlexMmm replied to Telly24's response:
Telly, Ive notice when I work out in the morning, go for bike ride, runs I have a better day, practice slowing down your breathing it could help you if you have a panic attack. Also remeber you be fine and theres people around who care for you

Caprice_WebMD_Staff replied to jankearney123's response:
Hi Fran,

You never had a post on this discussion. Click here to get to the one you posted on. But feel free to contribute here too.

Telly24 replied to AlexMmm's response:
thanks

Cjack1990 replied to gonnafindaway's response:
II couldn't of said it any better myself!

Featuring Experts

Reid Wilson, PhD is an international expert in the treatment of anxiety disorders, with books translated into nine languages. He is author of Don...More

Helpful Tips

Merry Christmas!
Hello All: Just wanted to wish everyone a very Merry Christmas, and a Happy New Year!!!! 2013, is our year of Healing. Lets claim it!!! More
Was this Helpful?
0 of 0 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.