Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Includes Expert Content
jaws86
jaws86 posted:
I am having such a hard time with this constant,constant fear of having a PA and for just unrelenting anxiety. I know that we we are not to share our medicine but my wife is on Klonopin and I am going to take one tonight to help me relax and sleep. Should I tell her? W hat would the harm be? I think I know the answer, but I need to hear it from yall.

dairyfree responded:
As simple as this sounds....it sounds like you have a food intolerance. My wife was on Lorazepam for over 25 years. I was on 20 mg. Lexapro/day for anxiety and 30mg. ritalin for ADHD. We quit dairy in Sept. 2011 and we have never felt better in our lives. We both are now prescription free. Anxiety is GONE. I can now concentrate like never before. We're happier and have more drive than ever. Western doc's don't seem too interested in nutrition or what you put in your mouth. Please google food intolerances and diet eliminations. It might not be dairy, but it sounds like you're having bad a reaction to something. Socrates once said "Let food be your medicine & medicinebe your food"

Patricia Farrell, PhD responded:
I understand how you must be feeling, but I cannot recommend nor agree with your taking anyone else's medication. This situation is one which must be discussed with your PCP and the 2 of you must come up with a treatment plan for your panic attacks.

I would suggest, however, that you consider a short course of cognitive therapy with a psychologist who specializes in anxiety disorders. This is intended to help you to learn new ways to manage your anxiety and to extinguish panic attacks should they come on or to initiate actions to prevent an attack. It's quite common for anyone who has had a panic attack to be in a somewhat constant state of concern regarding having another one. So in that regard, you are in the majority.

You can also find information in our Tips column which can be useful to you in learning to manage your anxiety. One thing I would recommend is the video tutorial on relaxation breathing. This is the technique that you can use anywhere, at any time and it will help you to calm down. Please remember, however, to use it prior to having your anxiety escalate into a panic attack. It is a method intended to help you to keep your anxiety at a much lower level.

I hope you find this information useful.

Dr. Farrell

Cjack1990 responded:
I agree with patricia. When I first started going through my anxiety/depression (I was agoraphobic, homebound for a year), my counsler did everything she could to prevent me from getting on medication. That should be a last resort. You would be surprised on how much therapy can help, who knows you might not even need medication. Unforturnatly for me my anxiety was too severe and it was getting in the way of my schooling.
However, if you are put on medication, it's not a magic pill. You still need those tools and coping mechanisms to rid the panic attacks. It takes a while, but once you start going you start to feel better and realize there was nothing to worry about.
Good luck and I hope the panic goes away

Featuring Experts

Reid Wilson, PhD is an international expert in the treatment of anxiety disorders, with books translated into nine languages. He is author of Don...More

Helpful Tips

Progressive Muscle RelaxationExpert
In addition to relaxation breathing and guided imagery, one great self-help technique that you can use anywhere (even while sitting in a ... More
Was this Helpful?
14 of 24 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.