Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Includes Expert Content
Panic Disorder at work
ajiadarola posted:
I keep getting anxiety at work.. most of my attacks have happened hear and i am taking xanax daily just to get through.... I just switched to prozac from zoloft. I hope this works anyone made the switch?

Patricia Farrell, PhD responded:
You've indicated that you get these anxiety attacks at work and I would think that might indicate that your work is quite stressful or that something is happening to make you anxious there. If you were experiencing anxiety everywhere in your life, it would be a different story, but you are experiencing it at work.

So, what is happening at work? Give it some thought and see where you may be experiencing the stress. It may be that you are being expected to do more work, to work in an area that is unfamiliar to you, or there may be management or personnel considerations that are affecting you, etc. I think this needs to be done before medications are considered and it would seem that having to take Xanax on a regular basis just to help you get through the day at work would indicate that there is something else that needs your attention as well as the attention of anyone who was prescribing medication for you.

Has anyone suggested that you have some short-term cognitive therapy to help you with whatever is happening? I believe this needs to be considered in light of the fact that your situation appears to be work-centered. Medication is not going to help you to learn new ways of approaching things or to help you see things in a different light.

Please consider this.

Dr. Farrell

Cjack1990 replied to Patricia Farrell, PhD's response:
I've been told numerous times medication is to help with a little push, the rest is on you. The doc is righttherapy is very very very helpful, I highly suggest it.
But I am on zoloft, and i've always been on zoloft,I have never taken any other kind of medication. 100 mil. which I'm gonna be doing 125 mil. soon. But different medications helpdifferent people but hopefully it'll work for you! and it's a lot safer than xanax.
I get panic attacks at work too, in retail. It usually only happenswhen I work in the mornings because I haven't had time to clear my head. Most of the time as soon as I get there about a half hour later it goes away if it's busy. When I feel an attack is coming, I ball my fists up as tight and as hard as I can,then I relax them, and so on.(If I had a stress ballthat would help even more! but i don't:( ). It helps ease my anxiety and it calms me, and it beats running in a corner crying and scratching androcking, so no one would know!

Ivytwine82 responded:
I started getting panic attacks several years ago for which I could never determine any triggers - they just happened arbitrarily. A Doc put me on Prozac and has worked great ever since. I tried weaning myself off for a time, but symptoms came back so it looks like I'm on Prozac for the long-term.

Recently there's been a lot of stress in my life - work, home, etc. Which has been causing a lot of anxiety and some panic attacks. These are situational, not just arbitrary like I have without the Prozac, so the Doc put me on Valium. I've also tried Clonazepam and Xanax for anxiety/panic, as all three of these are in the benzodiazepine drug class, and have all worked well for my situational anxiety.

I just wanted to share my experience with you since it seemed somewhat similar. Of course what Dr. Farrell and Cjack said about seeking therapy is very advisable. Successful therapy is much healthier than long term use of drugs.

dxme41 responded:
I have been anxiety free for 30 years. I am on a combination of Paxil 20 mg and Clonzapam 2 mg.

27515528 responded:
I take xanx daily along with prozac. I have been laid off for a month so I am able to take less xanax during the day. I now have time to look for another job, gain some sanity back while collecting severance pay. Hopeful thinking- I hope to find a job within 6 months to a year.

poptoy1949 responded:
Good Choice. I had Depression/Panic disorder and it was as bad as it could get. The combination of Prozac/Xanax worked very well for me. It took a while to fully recover but that did happen. Actually at first I was on Prozac, 2 doses per day and clonopin rather than xanax. Then went down to 1 dose of prozac after awhile with xanax. Just a reminder.....it may not be your work that is giving you the anxiety. It may be something else combined with your work experience that is doing it. With me it started showing up at work but that was not nearly all of the problem. Keep that in mind. Talk therapy helps. It did help me. I pray you gt better as I did.

Featuring Experts

Reid Wilson, PhD is an international expert in the treatment of anxiety disorders, with books translated into nine languages. He is author of Don...More

Helpful Tips

Exercise you can doExpert
Exercise is one of the most beneficial self-help techniques we know of today and more and more research is indicating its usefulness in ... More
Was this Helpful?
57 of 77 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.