Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
6 year old on prozac?
concernecstepmom posted:
My step daughter is 6 years old and her mother has her on 10mg of fluoxetine taken nightly on and off. (A little blue pill). Her mother told us it was allergy medicine (this started over a year ago which would of made her 5 years old when she started taking it). I did some research on the pill to find out that it was really a gernic form of Prozac. My concern is that she is way too young to be on this medication and we do not see any kind of depression, anxiety, etc. going on with her at all. I have done a lot of research about adolesants taking this medication and it all has been the same thing...bad. And if there was some reaction to this pill and we not knowing she was on it couldn?t that be dangers? We giver her Benadryl, Tylenol and ibuprofen and cold medicines if she is sick or something are those mixes dangerous? She also takes Singulair at the same time with the fluoxetine, is this an unsafe mix?

Dr_Patricia_Farrell responded:
I'm not an MD and I would think that your pharmacist might be the one to help with any concerns about mixing meds in this child. I don't know if there's a pediatric indication for the med and that should be explored, too.

Featuring Experts

Reid Wilson, PhD is an international expert in the treatment of anxiety disorders, with books translated into nine languages. He is author of Don...More

Helpful Tips

Dr. Farrell's WebMD TV videosExpert
Dr. Farrell has a series of 12 videos that cover everything from your need for sleep, inheriting anxiety disorders, positive self-talk and ... More
Was this Helpful?
68 of 85 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.