Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Includes Expert Content
Possible panic attack and effects still lingering days later, I'm really worried :(
CallMeBlondie posted:
I think I had what was a panic attack last Thursday. I was laying on my side reading something on the computer and all of a sudden my right arm started to feel weird, like it was really light or something and it just made me panic. My heart started racing fast, I got shaky and felt like passing out a few times. I took a valium which calmed me down but ever since I've still been shaken up by it. I've only had one other panic attack in my life and I was like 11 then but I don't remember it feeling like this especially for days. I'm 21 now and don't know what to do. I cant go to the doctor right now really so id appreciate any help.

It's Tuesday now and my arm still feels odd, like it's lighter than my left. I feel lightheaded sometimes too, I don't know how to explain it. I don't know if it's all in my head or what because if I think about it too much I feel like I can weird myself out into another panic attack but I get up and snap myself out of it. I'm pretty fine when i'm not thinking about it but it's hard to stay focused on things long enough and get it out of my head. I know that I'm obsessing about it constantly which I fear is what's making the effects still linger and make me feel worse but I just don't know what to do to get rid of the feelings.

CallMeBlondie responded:
Also I'm really jittery and my nerves are just awful, I keep fearing because of my arm it's something awful. I felt perfectly fine before the panic attack Thursday, I wasn't worried about anything and I don't understand why it would have just come out of the blue like that and keep me feeling this way. Thanks for any help.

Patricia Farrell, PhD responded:
Usually, I recommend that anyone who has any type of physical problem visit their PCP to get checked out and that's what I would recommend to you.

I think you need to consider what you were doing when you had this initial feeling on Thursday and whether or not you may have been lying in a position that would cause some cramping or circulation problem. I'm not an M.D., but that may be what happened and since you did have, as you said, one panic attack when you were 11 (in other words 10 years ago) you are a bit predisposed to seeing panic in anything that may have some symptoms similar to that experience.

I know you know this and I know that keeping yourself occupied, as you already have found out, helps because thinking about this just makes the anxiety worse. Anxiety and stress can also cause changes in blood pressure which can bring on feelings of lightheadedness and not feeling well. So this might be playing a role too.

We always recommend that anyone who would like to do some self help can look at our Tips column and view the relaxation breathing video which we have there. This is often quite helpful.

As I said at the beginning of this post, I would suggest that you see your PCP if this feeling of lightheadedness and a different sensation in your arm is still present.

Featuring Experts

Reid Wilson, PhD is an international expert in the treatment of anxiety disorders, with books translated into nine languages. He is author of Don...More

Helpful Tips

Progressive Muscle RelaxationExpert
In addition to relaxation breathing and guided imagery, one great self-help technique that you can use anywhere (even while sitting in a ... More
Was this Helpful?
14 of 24 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.