Skip to content
Includes Expert Content
Effexor XR Withdrawl Day 9
LDavis97103 posted:
Feeling much better today... still having the brain shocks (brain zaps). I did some research and I found that Magnesium Malate and Omega-3 fish oil help with the brain zaps. I bought a bottle of each at 5pm and took 1 each. The brain zaps calmed considerably!! I wish I had knew this 7 days ago when I was REALLY experiencing the withdrawls!

So, to recap my withdrawl experience so far;

Days 1-3: brain zaps, emotional breakdowns, dizzy, felt car sick, anger
Days 4-7: brain zaps are tolerable, still having bouts of anger, not sick to my stomach anymore! Have so much more energy, feel like I'm thinking much more clear just not talking very well. Having trouble getting my words out... while in a conversation, i stop in the middle of a sentence and just can't find the right word(s).
Days 8 & 9: Frustrated that the brain zaps have not stopped completely. Frustrated that I am still having some trouble getting my thoughts to come out of my mouth. Started taking Magnesium Malate to try to get the brain zaps to stop - I've noticed a real difference.

My advice to anyone who is going to go off of Effexor XR; work with your doc on a tapering off plan. When you do take that final step to "Effexor Free", make sure that you start on a Thursday, clear your calendar, kids go to grandmas and no obligations for at least 3 days. Make yourself as comfortable as possible. Once you get through the first 3-4 days, it will get better/manageable. Hang in there. I'll keep updating my progress.

Patricia Farrell, PhD responded:
Thanks for the update. It sounds like things are going well with you and we do appreciate your letting everyone know exactly how you've managed to accomplish your cessation of this medication.

Dr. Farrell

Betsy0610 responded:
I have gone through this terrible withdrawal from Effexor too. Unfortunately, I did not succeed entirely as my dr. switched me to Pristiq (which is a similar drug derived from Effexor). However, there is an excellent non —profit support resource out there for people weaning off of drugs like effexor called The Road Back. The website is http://www.theroadback.org/ . They offer a free e-book along with daily e-mail communication along your journey of weaning.

It sounds like you are doing well, but additional support is always nice to have. Good luck!

AMAH123 responded:
Thanks for the post. Reading other success stories seems to help a lot!

I am currently day 7 and feel like I'm coming around a bit. Last Thursday I took my last Effexor XR 150mg. I did quit cold turkey, but was given Klonopin to help me through which really didn't seem to help. The original plan was to switch me to Wellbutrin, but it did not agree with me and this became a sudden plan B.

So a couple of questions...did the Magnesium Malate help you at all and how did you feel after day 8/9? I never saw an update, which seems very common. Most reach day 10 or so and you don't hear much more. I'm assuming they've just felt that much better and stopped focusing on the withdrawal the same? I hope so at least.

I have been taking fish oils and they have helped a ton. I can collect my thoughts to form decent conversations now. I also have felt a big decline in the amount of zaps I feel. I still have vivid dreams and have a hard time waking. I was on Ambien 10mg prior to and have had to now cut the pill in half just to wake up without the huge fog over me. I feel my worst in the morning...it's hard to wake up and I have a belly ache when I do. It seems to go away as the morning wears on. My mood then sways throughout the day. I hate being alone a still get a bit dizzy. My main solutions so far have been walking, omegas and ginger now for my belly.

It seems I'm getting very close to the end of the worst of this. I would love your input.

LDavis97103 replied to AMAH123's response:
AMAH123... you are almost there... you're right - around day 10 you start feeling so much better. For me, the brain zaps and all other symptoms including the nausea and mood swings stopped about day 13 or 14. Yes, the Magnesium Malate helped A TON with the brain zaps.. almost immediately after taking the first dose - what a relief!! After all symptoms stopped, I realized that my thoughts were much more clear. It was like I was in a fog for two years and all of a sudden i WOKE UP. I now have so much more energy, I can get all of my household chores done without feeling overwhelmed and tired. I have been much more productive at work and more engaged with my family. All in all - I am so glad that Effexor is out of my life. I am currently not taking any medications and I feel great! Just hang in there... the worst is over for you. Take care!!

AMAH123 replied to LDavis97103's response:
Thank you so much for responding LDavis97103! Your words are so comforting. To talk with someone who's gone through similar gives me so much hope.

Today is day 10. Although I made it here, I'm still counting hours and seem to have good and bad moments. I'm able to form thoughts and communicate much more effectively. I can work, although still hard, but I'm at least making it through as opposed to last week. I feel sick today, I'm trying to work and breath through it!

The zaps themselves have all but gone, but I started taking the Magnesium Malate today to see if it would help with the other symptoms I'm still having. Today I woke up very foggy and dizzy. It's been difficult to get to sleep and the mornings very difficult to wake up. Could be my fault, I replaced the 1/2 sleeping pill with Benedryl 2 days ago to see if it would help with the motion sickness and difficulty waking up. Yesterday I would have said yes, today not so sure.

I feel so over this and getting pretty upset that it's just seemed to drag itself out like it is.

Going back is not an option, not this far into it. If it means I'm sick for another week, I've got to do this. I do find it a bit hard to be strong, so again, thank you for your words of support. Hearing what you went through and how you dealt with it helps...SO MUCH! I feel like it will never end.

So here's to day 10, which I'm officially through as of 8pm tonight. Every day is goal and hopefully day 13/14 will be here before I know it and I'll be feeling better.

Featuring Experts

Reid Wilson, PhD is an international expert in the treatment of anxiety disorders, with books translated into nine languages. He is author of Don...More

Helpful Tips

Progressive Muscle RelaxationExpert
In addition to relaxation breathing and guided imagery, one great self-help technique that you can use anywhere (even while sitting in a ... More
Was this Helpful?
14 of 24 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.