Skip to content
Includes Expert Content
O.C.D. taking over my LIFE!! Please Answer This One
cle123 posted:
Everything seems to be controlled by my OCD, from food, to sex, to dieting, to numbers (number 6, 36). With food, its little stuff like i wont eat certain items because my old boss that does not even work there anymore ate it ONE time before, not like its his fav food or anything. With sex, its that I have these intrusive thoughts in my head everytime i am about to ejaculate it pops up. With dieting, I always have an excuse as to why am holding off. Example, ill start my diet on monday, then something will happen that makes me think "well ill scrap this one and start my diet on Sunday because thats mothers day and thats the perfect day". then ill find myself restarting on my birthday, then ill find myself restarting on sunday because thats God's day and its the 'perfect day to start my diet", it drives me crazy and the last thing really lets me know I have issues. With the numbers, I have this thing where I try to avoid doing things when the clock falls on ""36" especially 6:36 because of the whole biblical meaning. I really need to know if there is anyone on this board that can hellp me overcome this without medication, please!!

Patricia Farrell, PhD responded:
OCD is a difficult disorder to live with and can take a bit of time in a therapeutic setting, but this is something that must be seriously considered when your thoughts are controlling your life in such important areas.

You didn't indicate whether or not this had recently begun or if it has been something you have been dealing with for a long time. In either case, it does require professional help and I would suggest that, after a thorough medical exam, you consider a referral to a cognitive psychologist who deals with anxiety disorders. You do need someone who is experienced and trained in treating anxiety disorders specifically and you may need some bit of medication, but that is to be determined after a consultation.

There are, of course, physical disorders that can cause anxiety and that's the reason I say you 1st need to have a thorough medical exam. If it is being caused by either anxiety or, possibly, some medication or products that you may have ingested, that needs to be checked out. Once that has been done and if nothing has been found, then you need to have the referral to the cognitive psychologist. Unfortunately, this is not a problem that can be dealt with on this board because it does need one-to-one intervention.

I hope things do improve for you and that you do get the help you deserve because I know how disruptive this must be for you.

Dr. Farrell

Featuring Experts

Reid Wilson, PhD is an international expert in the treatment of anxiety disorders, with books translated into nine languages. He is author of Don...More

Helpful Tips

Dr. Farrell's WebMD TV videosExpert
Dr. Farrell has a series of 12 videos that cover everything from your need for sleep, inheriting anxiety disorders, positive self-talk and ... More
Was this Helpful?
68 of 85 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.