Skip to content
Includes Expert Content
BREAKDOWN/ANXIETY DISORDER
doxielover10 posted:
I commented recently about the worst experience of the entire event was the breakdown.

Once you have had one breakdown, can you get another ?

A witty woman is a treasure; a witty beauty is a power.
George Meridith

Patricia Farrell, PhD responded:
There is never a guarantee, regardless how effective your treatment has been, that someone will never have another "breakdown." Of course, the usual course of treatment is aimed at providing the patient with skills and knowledge that will help them to minimize increasing levels of depression (which is the usual case) so that they can maintain themselves despite periods of fluctuation in ability to function.

Work with your healthcare provider and hopefully, an experienced therapist, and things should progress well for you.

Dr. Farrell

doxielover10 replied to Patricia Farrell, PhD's response:
My migraines are so bad and the infection is back. A friend from BD got me an appointment with a Psychiatrist in NYC who specializes in anxiety disorders and bipolar disorder. About a month ago I was taking 1,200 mgs of Seroquel, 600 mgs in the morning and 600 mgs in the evening, along with a plethora of other drugs. The horrible shaking was back, I could hardly speak. My Psychiatrist's wife went with me because I was having problems walking. I spent 3 hours with this man and he was astonished I was still alive. He agreed that I was heading for another breakdown, I fell again and fractured my jaw, I came out of my Internist's office and fell on fresh tar .I asked to be taken off the 600mgs of Seroquel in the morning because I was somewhere but I have no idea where ? I also asked to be taken off OXY that was prescribed for the migraines.My request was approved and the fog started lifting a few days later. This Dr. said that when I came in, he thought I was in the wrong office. I was impecable from head to toe. I was completely focused, I was completely in touch with the medication issue, I was extremely in touch with being an extremely rapid cycling Bipolar, as well as having an anxiety disorder. My Psychiatrist was listening on the phone, he said I had PTSD, so did the Doctor I saw and also the Therapist who was also on the phone. He was extremely happy I had not given up years ago. He also set me up with a very knowledgeable Cognetive Therapist who listened on the phone. I saw him today and I really like him, we set up another appointment, so I am praying. I have been so miserable for so long, I hope all of our efforts come to fruition. Then I have you, who unlocked the gate, that was all it took.
Thank you so much for your support, I have given up on the Bipolar Community. I asked for help and it was made into a joke. I do not believe Bipolar Disorder is a joke. I'm not exactly a shrinking violet either. Do you know what Dr. K did in conjunction with the ball and chain ? Dr. K now has my keys and every pair of 4 inch heels I own. Does that come under "DO NO HARM"
I will always stay with you, everyone thinks having a high IQ is the ticket to everything, it's not.

BEST
ALLISON

A witty woman is a treasure; a witty beauty is a power.
George Meridith

Patricia Farrell, PhD replied to doxielover10's response:
I'm glad things are working out for you because you have been through a lot.

I hope things do continue to improve.

Featuring Experts

Reid Wilson, PhD is an international expert in the treatment of anxiety disorders, with books translated into nine languages. He is author of Don...More

Helpful Tips

Dr. Farrell's WebMD TV videosExpert
Dr. Farrell has a series of 12 videos that cover everything from your need for sleep, inheriting anxiety disorders, positive self-talk and ... More
Was this Helpful?
68 of 85 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.