Includes Expert Content
anxiety and panic disorder
sammiiR posted:
I've had panic and anxiety disorder since I was 16 and truthfully i hate it. I don't how to control them and i want to go out and do stuff with my hhusband. I always feel like i'm hurting him b/c i don't do nothing but sit aat home. I have tried getting jobs and they don't help i barley leave my house.. Someone please help me with this

optimistic79 responded:
I have suffered panic attacks ever since I can remember. My first memory of it was from when I was about 2.
It's hard when it does take over your life. I have been taking medication, but now I'm trying to come off it.
I know this is an obvious question, but have you sought help for this? Medication may help if you feel comfortable with that, but you really have to give that a lot of thought.
You're not alone, so many people suffer from this, it's just a case of be able to live with it.

Patricia Farrell, PhD responded:
You've indicated that you had anxiety and panic for a number of years and it has really cut into your ability to lead the life that you would like to have. Yes, that is exactly what this does, but there are things that you can do to help yourself.

Since it has been going on for a long time, I'm assuming that you have had a medical evaluation and that there is no physical cause for this. If that is correct, have you tried any CBT with someone who specializes in anxiety disorders? If you don't wish to try therapy, then, perhaps, a few self-help techniques may be able to get you going and to help you to keep building on your successes.

Remember, anxiety is going to be fighting you every step of the way, but you will make strides toward your goal. There may also be times when you will feel you are backsliding, but that is normal. No journey is without it's speed bumps and, if you just consider them that, you can face this and get yourself out of the house and more into life.

Of course, if you were working with a therapist, one of the 1st things that they would begin to tell you is to just try to take small steps. Everything is done in small increments and each step takes you a bit farther than the last one. I once had a patient who couldn't leave the house to go out to the mailbox in front of her house. She gradually got herself to open the front door and that was all she did on one day and for one week as she did this, she told herself that she could do this and she would do this.

The next week, she opened the screen door and for the next week she continued to open the front door, the screen door and then take just 2 steps out onto her porch. We progressed in this way until she got to the mailbox, picked up her mail and returned to her home. She is now taking weekly trips with her friends, going to the hairdresser's and doing her our own shopping. It was really a matter of her fighting the anxiety and continuing, almost as a homework assignment, to do what she needed to do. I know this isn't easy for you and it may take longer, but however long it takes you is however long it's going to take you. Everyone does things in their own time and their body pretty much tells them.

You can also use relaxation breathing (see the video tutorial in our Tips column), do some in-home exercise of a mild nature, such as walking in place or walking up and down the stairs. Why am I recommending exercise? Because the latest research is showing that the muscles are very involved in our mood and they seem to help the brain to release substances which calm us down.

Give the self-help techniques a try for at least the next month and see how you do. I'll bet you will make change.

Dr. Farrell

sammiiR replied to optimistic79's response:
I take celexa and ativan and i dont think it helps that much b/ i still dont do nothing i sit in a house all day long and when i have them i feel like im gonna die. I cant stand having them ive been to consuling and all that nothing seems to help. I am so sick of feeling like this everday. the people around me dont understand and hate the fact that i dont go anywhere

blanner replied to optimistic79's response:
I also have had anxiety disorder and a bit of depression but I cannot take anti-depressants. My body has a very low tolerance for those kinds of meds. Make my anxiety worse. The best thing I did for myself was find a psyschologist and go in for talk therapy There are different types of talk therapy.. There can be many reasons for anxiety and I have about had them all. It is a slow pace, talk therapy and difficult to face but you have to get all the fear, anger etc. out before you can begin to heal. it took awhile to diagnose but once it was I began to do better. My psyschologist says that I can heal from this, just takes a lot of work. I must admit it takes a lot of courage to face everything and get it out into the open but I have great hopes that one day soon, I can live what I call a peaceful life. Please look into this if you think you can do it and find someone to talk to that you tryust with your feelings (psyschologist)

sammiiR replied to blanner's response:
I have manic depression ocd panic and aniety disorder adhd and more i have talked to alot of people it doesnt seem to help me i take celexa and ativan but still does not do much for me because if i take my depression meds it dont take the anxiety away and the ativan if i take that i go to sleep. i do not know what else to do. I feel horrible because i cant even work because of this mental disease but i cant get disability and my husband works all week long and i dont distrubit anything. I hate this sometimes i want to check myself into a mental home so i cant hurt anyone emotionally anymore. I dont have anyone i can talk to because no one understands that is why i joined this

An_246882 replied to sammiiR's response:
I have had a very hyperactive disorder since a child, I was very slow in school, but back when they didnt have this problem and help out there for it.. Now I know why I didnt do and get all the good grades in school, I was slow.. Now I have bad mood swings, very bad anxiety, ocd, adhd, everytime I go to a doc. they tell me Im depressed, not sure about all that cause Im too spastic.. I need help and dont know what or where or how to go about doin this, so many people out there abuse the pills so people like me that really needs help cant get it.. Any suggestions?
Thank you

BlessedProudMomma replied to An_246882's response:
also on top of all of this, I became a Mom at 37, was told not to every have any, well God has a plan, and he puts Dr.s on this earth and through school to find out whats wrong with people like me.I am so blessed to have had this chance to know what this is all about, love it,, I have an 80 year old Grandma that has dementia, tryin to keep it together for her, and see her as much as we can, I lost my mom at 20, she was an epileptic and I always knew to take care of her when she was in a seizure, so at this point Im not sure what I need to do.. More and More come on that shows so many symptoms of this disease... what do I do??

BlessedProudMomma replied to blanner's response:
I have been to all thee above, from stress Dr.s to all the Psychs, when I lost my mom in 93 I lost my whole world.. she was my mom and dad, even though I came to see my Daddy, I worried about my mom and her epilepsy, so I didnt go to many places or stay the night with friends, cause I was always scared to leave her alone,she have a seizure and hurt herself, so many car crashes were I had to steer us off the road, call my Mema, all the above as a child (3 years old), I was very slow in school but no one ever pointed that out, got my GED in 2001 (after I failed it b4 my mom passed away, scores the day it happened) that was terrible for me, but I finally did it. Now as I go through life without her and my Mema (her mom) is 80 and got dimensa, this disease has had a hold of me for all my life, now I need to get help but all these Dr. want to do is put me on medication that will not and does not do what my body needs... WHAT DO I DO???

sammiiR replied to BlessedProudMomma's response:
I dont know and i am very sorry about your mom my Brother passed when i was 11 he was 15 he died in a hit and run on his birthday and my mom didnt care about me and my dad was always working i have done the same stuff you have and they put me on medication i didnt want to take cuz i dont like counting on things i have trust issues even though im married and im very independent i have not finished school but did very well in it. it really sucks not having a ged or high school diploma. I have tryed to fight everything i have but it senseless b/c no matter how hard u fight it, it is stronger. i get angry all the time b/c i see ppl who leave thier house and hangout and i cant. I live my life like a hermit most of the time i do leave but when i do its not for long. Ive been called so many different names b/c of it and i hate it. Nobody around me understands its nice to know and sad to know im not alone.

sickofsick52 replied to sammiiR's response:
So sorry to hear all you've gone though, but you're not alone. As a young teen I required 8-9 hours of sleep & was picked on by my brother about sleeping so much. In the 80's I had mono. Then value prolaspe, heart problems that sitting up in bed slowly, everything went black. I had to be in bed by 9pm to make it though work the next day. Then in 2000, in a split second I shook, had to hold onto furniture & lost my eyesight a few min's. that was the beginning of years of pure hell. Many dr's, no one had a clue. A dermo dr with his back to me said, I think you have depression. I shot back, I'm not depressed I"m sick. So very sick. Every diff dr would say I can't find anything, I'd just cry. Dont' know how I fought to work 5 years like that. Anixty is talked about so much, yet dr's never knew thats what made me so sick. They think of it like we read about it, as in attacks here & there. All the symptons are never listed on line. Mine is ongoing. Lost my Dad Nov 99, early 2000 is when I was knocked to the floor. My Dad was everything to me so I think that brought it all to a head, it's been there all along. I was great at my jobs but lived in fear I'd screw up, knew many years ago something wasn't right inside but fought to hide it at work. Going though alot of personal issues really can effect our health. I was always tough and bounced back, so I thought. Once I opened up to an older cousin, she named loads of people in our family that had anixity. They are on mild med's and live a normal life. I have the worse case ever, my case history should be on line. The only time I get a break from it is when I'm in a deep sleep and sometimes not even then. I'll feel so sick I'm sick in my dreams.

sammiiR replied to sickofsick52's response:
im sorry to hear that. i really dont know what to say to that. I know the feeling of the sickness. But i never got it like you have. I get panic and anxiety attacks everyday even taking the pills. im just sick of living like this