Skip to content
Includes Expert Content
I've Noticed Something For The First Time
doxielover10 posted:
As I have posted before about my horrible anxiety, I could never figure why ?

Today, I was watching TV, nothing upsetting. About the middle of the show I could feel the first indications of anxiety. Every single muscle, synapse, head were hard as a rock and I noticed I was holding my breath and a migraine was starting. Has anyone ever had this ? Dr Farrell ?

A witty woman is a treasure; a witty beauty is a power.
George Meridith

Patricia Farrell, PhD responded:
One of the things about anxiety is that it can often be triggered by almost anything. In your case, I understand that you have had some very disturbing problems related to anxiety and I think it would be a good idea to try to use our relaxation breathing.#next_pages_container { width: 5px; hight: 5px; position: absolute; top: -100px; left: -100px; z-index: 2147483647 !important; }

Yes, muscles do tense up and blood pressure can go down or up when you become anxious. The thing you want to do is to help your body to help you and that's where the breathing may come in for you. You want to do with as soon as you get the 1st twinge of anxiety. It's meant to help you ward off the anxiety before it becomes stronger.

Sometimes, too, people don't realize that they are holding their breath when they become anxious and this can also raise their level of anxiety. Although I'm not an MD, I would suspect that the migraine is associated with the anxiety and may be related to blood pressure, but you need to ask your treating physicians about this.

doxielover10 replied to Patricia Farrell, PhD's response:
I read your reply a number of times and realized I had been doing this behavior for a very long time and had never realized it. I had already been doing the breathing, however not at at this level. The day I got this post, I immediately put a plan together. Since I had never had a twinge with anxiety, the same was true with my bipolar, I was not aware until the tidal wave got me. I conquered that by making a list of what I believed were sources of extreme anxiety for me. It was very difficult since I had no idea what was making me so miserable. As I kept thinking about it, I saw a slight tremor in my hand which I ignored. As we sat down, every muscle in my body was like a rock and my head was about to explode. I was shaking so I got up and fell flat on my face requiring 25 stitches on my head . I'm having a horrible time with this, I HAVE to get it through my head, I'm not the other person who could do pretty much everything. I need to find other things to do and find friends who can help me adapt or I am not going to make it.

A witty woman is a treasure; a witty beauty is a power.
George Meridith

Curiosity16 replied to Patricia Farrell, PhD's response:
Hey, I would like to receive your advice, I am 16 and don't know what I suffer from. It all started 6 months ago in February, I decided to do the wrong thing and smoke weed for the first time with my friends, everything went completely fine and nothing happened, but than 10 days after my first time smoking weed I did it again, and ever since than I felt weird. I felt depersonalized and derealized and anxious. I started thinking that i had retinal detachment because my vision was very starry and foggy like cloudy, and decided to visit an ophthalmologist who said I was completely fine and than got an MRI, and they found nothing wrong with me. After this I than went to a psychologist/ psychiatrist because I kept worrying and than starting hearing a voice that would call my name when the tv was on or when a lot of people would talk at the same time, and I still hear this now, so my psychologist prescribed me risperidone, I took a super small dosage, took it 3 times than stopped since I didnt like its effects, I told my psychologist and he was fine with it. I than stopped visiting my psychologist because he told me to come back if things got worse and so far haven't gone back for like 2 months, but I'm still getting anxious thoughts that are hard to control, I keep thinking what if the weed was harmful to me and triggered something like schizo or psychosis, but thats not the case, im afraid of going crazy, and I also used to have tinnitus, but it doesnt really happen anymore. I sleep perfectly and dont have insomnia, or any sleeping disorders, i did used to have panic attacks, but I now know how to control them and they dont occur anymore, I still have the same social life as I did before, I told my friends about what happened and they support me and I have stayed away from marijuana since the second time I smoked it, it was the only drug I ever did in my life, I am afraid of every type of drug now, including alcohol and cigarettes, but idk y, I still feel the same, I eat right exercise, try to control my thoughts and think positive, what should I do, do you think If I distract myself or get a girlfriend, learn something that I'm interested in, that it should all go away, If I never worry about it anymore? How do I get back to my old self and live a worry free life where I dont hear a voice that calls my name that is fake? How?

Patricia Farrell, PhD replied to Curiosity16's response:
You know that you made a mistake and you've learned from it. I do believe you were seeing a psychiatrist, not a psychologist because psychologists don't prescribe meds unless they also have an RN in just a few states. So, I think you should be working with a psychologist on some of your issues, which can be short-term and very useful.#next_pages_container { width: 5px; hight: 5px; position: absolute; top: -100px; left: -100px; z-index: 2147483647 !important; }

It sounds like you've gotten yourself back on track, but you need a bit of support in a few things.

Featuring Experts

Reid Wilson, PhD is an international expert in the treatment of anxiety disorders, with books translated into nine languages. He is author of Don...More

Helpful Tips

Lexapro
My dr. just prescribe me Lexapro.. i just feel nervous taking it. does anyone have any thoughts about it. More
Was this Helpful?
3 of 8 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.