Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Includes Expert Content
trimmers
QueenBreezyChristie posted:
july 30 2012 i got a staph infection above my right eye, they put me on bactrim ds, and clindamycin. i was on them for about 4 days then had my staph drained, the day after i woke up was the first time i had internal tremors, so bad at first my teeth chattered, i aslso take ativan for anxiety, i still have the internal tremors. they come and go. i have had several ct scans all came back clear. all blood work clear, its been 2 days since i finished both these meds that MADE ME VERY SICK... i have never had tremors until this.. i pray this goes away as the meds exit my body... any ideas ??

Patricia Farrell, PhD responded:
Although I'm not an M.D., I do know that some medications can cause unexpected side effects and you might look up the side effects of your medications in the PDR (Physician's Desk Reference) which you can find on the Internet, your local library Reference section or any bookstore.

Some people who have had anesthesia experience this type of physical tremors after surgery. For most medications the usual time for them to almost completely leave your body (if no additional dose of this medication is taken) is 4—5 half-lives and the number of hours of any drug's half-life can also be found in the PDR. So, if the half-life of your med is 4 hours, then figure at least 20 hours for it be almost completely gone. Remember, I said "almost" completely gone because an extremely small quantity is constantly being eliminated until it is all gone and that number is unknown.

Dr. Farrell
#next_pages_container { width: 5px; hight: 5px; position: absolute; top: -100px; left: -100px; z-index: 2147483647 !important; }

Featuring Experts

Reid Wilson, PhD is an international expert in the treatment of anxiety disorders, with books translated into nine languages. He is author of Don...More

Helpful Tips

Dr. Farrell's WebMD TV videosExpert
Dr. Farrell has a series of 12 videos that cover everything from your need for sleep, inheriting anxiety disorders, positive self-talk and ... More
Was this Helpful?
68 of 85 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.