Skip to content
Includes Expert Content
Anxiety physical and mental pain
An_247298 posted:
Hi everyone,

I am 23, female and have been suffering from weird symptoms for about 3 months now. It started with numbness that turned into a panic attack, i went the emergeny room and that is what they told me it was. Numbness/tingling in my face only happened when I was anxious and happend very rarely. Then it hit me hard with my face arms and legs becoming having numbness/tingling senstations. I went to an urgent do clinic and the doctor told me it could be multiple sclerosis, that instantly freaked me out, I was confused and upset because he didn't know anything about me and just listened to my symptoms and told me I could have MS. he then added you don't seem like the type who will worry all night over this. WELL HELLO. YES I WILL WORRY ABOUT THIS ALL NIGHT. I SUFFER FROM ANXIETY. Anyways, I went to my general doctor and told him what happened, he assured me I didn't have MS and not to listen to the goof at the urgent clinic. That was almost 2 months ago and not a day goes by that I don't think about MS and fearing that I might have it. I have had numerous symptoms, chest pains, numbness/tingling senstations through out my body, dihirrea/nausa, tired eyes, pains in stomach/arms/legs TENSION HEADACHES. ect. I feel like I am never going to make it through this. I have anxiety over having anxiety. It is such a terrible cycle that I want to end. I was just wondering if anyone else suffers from simaler things. I have an appt coming up next month with a neurologist. Hoping to get some answers. I don't want to have to take antidepress. because my husband and I are wanting to have a baby in the near future. I just feel hopeless and like I'm never going to get my old life back. Help!!
Patricia Farrell, PhD responded:
It certainly must have hit you like a ton of bricks when the urgent care person suggested MS. Many anxiety symptoms mimick physical illness and it's very difficult to know if it's anxiety or not. Of course, one thing some docs do is to try a low dose of a short-acting anxiolytic med and, if it works and the symptoms abate or go away, the diagnosis is made; anxiety.#next_pages_container { width: 5px; hight: 5px; position: absolute; top: -100px; left: -100px; z-index: 2147483647 !important; }

Probably a number of things entered into the UC person's mind and being young, female and of child-bearing age, he thought it might be MS. Good that you were able to go to your PCP and get the reassurance you deserved.

I'm not an MD and I don't think that, under the circumstances, that an antidepressant would be needed or wise since you want to start a family. I would think that someone should have recommended lifestyle changes, regular exercise, some enjoyment on a regular basis, proper diet, sufficient sleep and a bit of self-help techniques.

Take a look in our Tips column and watch the relaxation breathing video and begin to do that on a regular basis. It can be very helpful and keep yourself occupied.

Dr. Farrell
sickofsick52 replied to Patricia Farrell, PhD's response:
A degree & book smarts doesn't give a person common sense. I told a dr something about my young son late one night, he said over the phone, it might be a brain tumor. I was up all night crying over him. Idiots. They should do testing before they start naming anything. What a scare, I'd never see that person again. You can find reviews for all kinds of dr's on line. I read them. One guy answered the question, did you feel better after you're visit? he said yeah, as soon as I stepped foot out their door.

Featuring Experts

Reid Wilson, PhD is an international expert in the treatment of anxiety disorders, with books translated into nine languages. He is author of Don...More

Helpful Tips

Dr. Farrell's WebMD TV videosExpert
Dr. Farrell has a series of 12 videos that cover everything from your need for sleep, inheriting anxiety disorders, positive self-talk and ... More
Was this Helpful?
68 of 85 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

  • Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.