Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Includes Expert Content
Valium/ Diazepam
An_247530 posted:
What is your view on this drug? I've heard it has a tendency to be addictive. I have been taking it for an inner ear issue that can cause dizziness and panic attacks. I've found my symptoms much better at times, but I've also been tired, even after asking for a lower dose. Also, does this drug treat OCD? I'm genuinely curious

doxielover10 responded:
I also had a terrible time with my glands infecting and pushing on the inner ear. The pain was unbearable and I became very anxious. It, was finally decided to perform surgery on the glands. It is not for the faint of heart. They pull your tongue up as far as it will go and cut through the bottom of the mouth, I had about 10 stitches. I had problems from the second I came out of surgery. I have been taking Valium 10 mg four times a day for years and have never had a problem.

I have never heard of anyone taking Valium for OCD,

A witty woman is a treasure; a witty beauty is a power.
George Meridith

MedCall responded:
I've had it, it's a mild sedative. I would recommend Clonazepam/Klonopin, I know of a few people that use it for OCD issues. Didn't do much for me, Could be because it was generic?

Patricia Farrell, PhD responded:
Valium is in a class of drugs known as benzodiazepines and this class includes Xanax, Ativan and Klonopin. All of these medications have a variety of uses including anxiety and even relieving muscle problems. They all also have the potential, as does many medications in other categories, of becoming somewhat addictive. What this means is that your body becomes accustomed to it and needs it on an ongoing basis.

What did the person who prescribed it for your inner ear issue indicate regarding its use to you? How long are you supposed to use it? What is the dose that you are supposed to use? Usually, you use the lowest dose possible for the shortest time. It is a powerful medication and can leave you feeling tired. In fact, some people use it occasionally to help them go to sleep, but it is only occasionally.

I am not an M.D., but I do not believe that Valium is used for OCD. Usually, OCD is treated with both a medication and psychotherapy. Medication isn't always needed and that is a decision that must be made by the patient and the prescriber.

Dr. Farrell
#next_pages_container { width: 5px; hight: 5px; position: absolute; top: -100px; left: -100px; z-index: 2147483647 !important; }

doxielover10 replied to Patricia Farrell, PhD's response:
Dr. Farrell,

I do not know if your Valium response was to me ? If we are referring to the horrible pain in my ear from the glands pushing against it, I was given Vicodin, not Valium.

You may be remembering when I came to you awhile ago and I was a mess. My ear hurt so much, I just was in tears. we have 2 ENT's in the whole county. One I believe went to Detroit U, internship and residency at the Newark, NJ dump. The other is maybe a bit better but not much. I'm 100% Irish, that's why I'm so gentle and quiet. Anyway I have a ton of hair and this idiot tells me I have an ear infection with liquid and blood coming out because my hair is so thick. HE'S the idiot who gave me a prescription for 40 mg of Valium a day. 10 mg tablets morning, midday, dinner, bed. I'm in a quandary, I've been asked if I would speak at a seminar for Medical Students from all over the country as well as representatives from the drug companies who manufacture the medication used in treatment. I'm not sure, I have only done 2 lectures since I left BD.

George Meridith

Caprice_WebMD_Staff replied to doxielover10's response:
Hi Doxielover,

I'm responding just to let you know that Dr. Farrell was responding to the original poster on this thread.

Good luck with your decision.

doxielover10 replied to Caprice_WebMD_Staff's response:
Thank you Caprice,

Dr. Farrell and I were trying to find a compromise on my medication issue. I went through a horrific time and they put me on 5 barbiturates.

I hate those types of drugs and Dr. Farrell has been wonderful to me.
All of it started with an ear problem, which was why I thought she was referring to me. she was responding to me.

Thanks very much for the info
BEST
ALLISON

George Meridith

Featuring Experts

Reid Wilson, PhD is an international expert in the treatment of anxiety disorders, with books translated into nine languages. He is author of Don...More

Health Insurance in Your State

Learn about plans, benefits, and costs in your state's Marketplace.

From WebMD

Helpful Tips

Progressive Muscle RelaxationExpert
In addition to relaxation breathing and guided imagery, one great self-help technique that you can use anywhere (even while sitting in a ... More
Was this Helpful?
14 of 24 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.