Skip to content


    Exciting News for WebMD Members!

    We've been busy behind the scenes building new message boards for you. You'll have new and easier ways to find messages, connect with others, and share your stories.

    And, this will all be available on your smartphone or other mobile device!

    What Do You Need to Do?

    The message board you're used to will be closing in the coming weeks. While many of your boards will be making the move to our new home, your posts will not. Want to keep a discussion going? Save posts you want to continue (this includes your member profile story), so that you can re-post them in the new message boards.

    Keep an eye here and on your email inbox, we'll be back in touch soon to give you all the information you need!

    Yours in health,
    WebMD Message Boards Management

    Includes Expert Content
    OCPD (Anxiety)
    katkasa posted:
    I have been taking an SSRI for over 20 years and recently it was taken off the market. I ran out and went off cold turkey. That has been a real trip!!! I am looking for help with coping with my personality disorder without prescription drugs. I cannot afford to see a psychiatrist and it seems that is the only way I can get help. I am having what I guess you would call "panic attacks" and am still in a fog. (I experienced lots of "fog" during withdrawal.)
    Patricia Farrell, PhD responded:
    I don't know which SSRI was removed from the market and wonder if it was offered in a generic form. Never a good idea, as you well know, to stop cold turkey on anything and I can understand how difficult this must have been for you. Your prescriber didn't offer anything else to help with this?#next_pages_container { width: 5px; hight: 5px; position: absolute; top: -100px; left: -100px; z-index: 2147483647 !important; }

    I know you indicated you can't afford a psychiatrist, but I do think that you need to have some support and help with a therapist who has experience with personality disorders. There are many things that can help and therapy is one way to learn how to begin to change your life and begin to feel better and less anxious.

    Please see if you can get a referral.
    katkasa replied to Patricia Farrell, PhD's response:
    Thanks for your reply. I was hoping that there was some homeopathic calming solution.
    I am 60 years old and had done the counseling thing for years. I like who I am and accept my personality disorder. I am under a lot of stress at this time, so maybe the symptoms will continue to lessen on their own.
    After the obvious withdrawal sysptoms, I am left with little anxiety attacks, a churning stomach, and I am somewhat emotional. That is not so bad, but I would still like to know of a way to lessen those symptoms.
    Patricia Farrell, PhD replied to katkasa's response:
    I think the only thing that I would consider comparable to homeopathic would be exercise. The research is compelling on how effective it can be in terms of mood, anxiety and stress and even some autoimmune disorders are being treated with some exercise in the treatment plan.

    Find things that are helpful for you, if you believe that you've received all the help you can from counseling.

    Hope things improve very soon.

    Featuring Experts

    Reid Wilson, PhD is an international expert in the treatment of anxiety disorders, with books translated into nine languages. He is author of Don...More

    Helpful Tips

    Successfully beat Effexor withdrawal - Here is how I did it:
    This is a Success Story and Instructions on Beating Effexor Withdrawal. I spent hours reading these forums and found that there were many, ... More
    Was this Helpful?
    14 of 14 found this helpful

    Related Drug Reviews

    • Drug Name User Reviews

    Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

    FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.