Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Includes Expert Content
Has anyone else ever had this problem?
tryingtohideit posted:
Hi i am new to this community. I am also on the depression community. My thing is out of the blue like right now I am so excited I am going to my first concert tomorrow and just out of no where while taking a shower not thinking about anything just playing a game on my ohone I start having a panic attack. This one is small and the pain and stuff isnt too bad. So I am able to calm myself down before it does get out of hand. When my depression flares up the panic/anxiet attacks also get more frequent and most of the time I have them for no reason that I can come up with. It was so bad before while I was in school 2 years ago that the school would send me home almost every day because I was having the panic attacks and they were horrible and I guess just upsetting to everyone at the school. All I could do was curl up in a ball and cry and rock. So when my depression creeped back up a couple weeks ago I knew I had to start medication back up because I cant afford to miss work. I was on celexa 40mg for a year it made me feel like a robot and to a certain degree I was still depressed. So I quit taking the celexa and had occasional flare ups of the depression and a few panic attacks here and there. Now I am seeing a new doctor and she put me on 50mg of zoloft. I started that two days ago. Ok so on to my question now that you know some background. Does anyone else have multiple panic attacks for no reason?

dianamommyof5 responded:
Hunny i know this disorder SUCKS, I too have the same and mine NEVER go away...i never ever FEEL "normal"....So dont ever think that you are alone hunny

Patricia Farrell, PhD responded:
Welcome to the board. I know you will be hearing from other members who will tell you that they do, indeed, have attacks from out of the blue and they can't figure out why.#next_pages_container { width: 5px; hight: 5px; position: absolute; top: -100px; left: -100px; z-index: 2147483647 !important; }

Depression and anxiety almost always come together and medication alone is not the complete treatment plan according to the research. I would think some cognitive therapy would be very helpful.

Hope things improve very soon.

Dr. Farrell

tryingtohideit replied to dianamommyof5's response:
Thank you very much! It just seems crazy! I can be so happy and having a good time and BAM all of the sudden i am in a panic attack for no reason. It sucks! I absolutely hate it!

tryingtohideit replied to Patricia Farrell, PhD's response:
I thought about going to therapy but with money situations I cant afford it right now. But when the money situation straightens out maybe I will be able to go. Thanks very much! This has really helped everyone on both communities has helped me very much!

doxielover10 replied to Patricia Farrell, PhD's response:
I was diagnosed as extremely depressed , I finally went for help and sure enough I was diagnosed as severely depressed. In the beginning my depression was so bad, I would stay in bed all day or take a pillow into the closet.Then I would be OK, then the panic attacks which had never been very bad became overwhelming and I'd end up in the ER. I kept changing depression meds because they were making me crazy. I was on 80 mg of Prozac for a year, I took
every anti depressant on the market but they were not working. My
last antidepressant was Effexor which was the only time in my life, I went off of it without telling my Doctor. I had no idea what was happening, I was throwing things, screaming at people, I keyed a car. During this time I also had severe anxiety from a lawsuit so my doctor gave me 20mg of Valium. I had already taken xanax, Augmenten, Ativan, Klonopin etc. The Valium worked better but my behavior did not. After we moved to Florida a friend in NY recommended a Psychiatrist who was supposed to be fantastic. The first thing I found out was that stopping Effexor could kill you. I had some blood tests to make sure I was physically fit, I was perfect ) Then I found out I was a rapid cycling bipolar, and what a trip it's been. Dr. Farrell's breathing exercises have been a godsend, not one anxiety or panic attack since I started those. I also switched from a regular therapist to a Cognitive Therapist, again, thanks to Dr. Farrell, what an incredible difference, at least for me.

Have you told a Physician you are having pain with the anxiety ? WHY ?

A witty woman is a treasure; a witty beauty is a power.
George Meridith

tryingtohideit replied to doxielover10's response:
Yeah I have told them and one has even witnessed. I dont know why I have so much pain Maybe because of the hyperventalating idk. I am going to try to go to a cognitive therapist. When money gets back to normal. I have only ever had celexa and the zoloft. They never told me what form of depression I have so I can only go off my symptoms and sleeping patterns and stuff like that. Its crazy and I have been dealing with this most of my pre-teen to now which I am 19. And was just diagnosed 2 years ago.

mssadeyes responded:
im also new to this community and wasn't sure if panic attacks just out of the blue.. i thought i was the only one who has experienced that... my panic attacks are not that bad now but i just dont know how to control them when they happen..

tryingtohideit replied to mssadeyes's response:
Mine are good if I realize early on that I am starting one unless its just one that starts out horrible. Usually I run me a hot bath if I am home and grab me a cigarette and just breathe and talk to myself and calm myself down,. I just work on breathing and trying to relax as much as possible.

doxielover10 replied to tryingtohideit's response:
First of all, you are paying for a service, so don't get bullied into "I'm
the doctor and I'm always right". A lot of my conquering my illness was my own research, Dr. Farrell and a fabulous Psychiatrist who really listens to me and gives in.when I present the facts. An example is I was taking 1200 mg of Seroquel and another list of medication. I can tolerate a lot of medication but I don't want it if I do not need it. However, that amount was needed because I was going 4-5 days with no sleep. I asked to change the dose to 600 mg in AM and 600 PM and he agreed. After a few months I was so out of it, I was crashing into walls. I asked to be taken down to 600 at night and we agreed on that, I've been there for months. My energy is back, I'm not sleeping during the day, my ability to focus is back.

Remember, you must be involved in the process as well. It's your body and mind and you MUST find someone who you like and you feel you are being understood. I went through a horrible tragedy when I lost my Dad in a way you would think was a horror movie. I could not do anything, I went somewhere else and just cut the world off. AGAIN, Dr. Farrell got me to talk, my anxiety was so bad I had huge round bloody sores from head to toe, I had them biopsied and they have a long Latin name described as the anxiety has reached it's limit.

A witty woman is a treasure; a witty beauty is a power.
George Meridith

tryingtohideit replied to doxielover10's response:
Yeah, I really like the doctor I am seeing now. I started goin to ger for weightloss. When my depression got bad again I told her about it. She put me on Zoloft 50mg. Even though it has only been a few days I am feeling better. Sleeping less which is good because I was sleeping constantly. And have only had 2 small panic attacks since goin on the zoloft. Believe you me I will make the doctors listen to me!

timothykoenig responded:
Hey tryingtohideit , I know some friends that having multiple panic attacks for no reason.

For your anxiety problem, have you tried Vipassana meditation? Vipassana, which means to see things as they really are, is one of India's most ancient techniques of meditation. It was rediscovered by Gotama Buddha more than 2500 years ago and was taught by him as a universal remedy for universal ills.

This non-sectarian technique aims for the total eradication of mental impurities and the resultant highest happiness of full liberation. Healing, not merely the curing of diseases, but the essential healing of human suffering, is its purpose.

Vipassana is a way of self-transformation through self-observation. It focuses on the deep interconnection between mind and body, which can be experienced directly by disciplined attention to the physical sensations that form the life of the body, and that continuously interconnect and condition the life of the mind. It is this observation-based, self-exploratory journey to the common root of mind and body that dissolves mental impurity, resulting in a balanced mind full of love and compassion.

The scientific laws that operate one's thoughts, feelings, judgements and sensations become clear. Through direct experience, the nature of how one grows or regresses, how one produces suffering or frees oneself from suffering is understood. Life becomes characterized by increased awareness, non-delusion, self-control and peace.

Otherwise you can also compare different modern technique to overcome anxiety such Linden method or Panic Away method. Justin and Friends site have a good review about both of the techniques.

Featuring Experts

Reid Wilson, PhD is an international expert in the treatment of anxiety disorders, with books translated into nine languages. He is author of Don...More

Helpful Tips

The five most unexpected causes: Coffee, Water, Sleep, Exercise, Diet
I have this as well. I have noticed that these symptoms are at there worst when I have had sleep deprivation, too much coffee, have not ... More
Was this Helpful?
3 of 3 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.