Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Includes Expert Content
Will It Get Worse?
An_247687 posted:
I am a teen and I think I may have Generalized Anxiety Disorder. I looked my symptoms up on the Symptom-Checker, and it was almost a complete match. My anxiety has only a minor effect on my daily decisions now, and I do not believe that I need medicine. However, recently I had an incident where I thought that my family was trying to poison me. Looking back I realize that they would never do that, but at the time I was really scared and completely believed that they were trying to do me harm. I am wondering if these incidents could happen more and more as time goes on, or if my anxiety in general could get worse. Has anyone else ever had something like this happen to them? Help is appreciated.

Patricia Farrell, PhD responded:
Before you ever do any kind of symptom checklist to determine a self-diagnosis, you need to get a medical checkup. You may have sx that are totally caused by a medical condition that is undiagnosed and can easily be fixed.

Many things can cause your sx.; poor diet, lack of sleep, stress from school or work, etc. When you begin to have beliefs such as you indicate, it needs to be addressed by a professional.

Please discuss this with your parents and get the appropriate evaluation.

An_247687 replied to Patricia Farrell, PhD's response:
Thank you for the help, Farrell. I will talk to my parents. I really appreciate it.

Patricia Farrell, PhD replied to An_247687's response:
Ok, I hope everything works out well.

Featuring Experts

Reid Wilson, PhD is an international expert in the treatment of anxiety disorders, with books translated into nine languages. He is author of Don...More

Helpful Tips

MRI/ NECK PAIN
I AM LEAVING WITH MULTIPLE SCLEROSIS I HAVE HAD HIP AND NECK PAIN WENT TO GET A MRI THEY SAW LESSIONS ON MY BRAIN I HAVE MS BUT IT DOES NOT ... More
Was this Helpful?
0 of 0 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.