Skip to content
Includes Expert Content
Getting over emetophobia?
Hannahhayes posted:
I have severe emetophobia and it's come to the point where it's interfering with daily life. I have figured a lot out about myself throughout the years and know that my terrible anxiety is from this phobia. But I don't want to live this way anymore. I want to enjoy life, not fear it...I've talked to doctors and I have a number for a therapist so that should help, but for now, what can I do? I am tired of feeling sick from the fears I have of getting sick...I want to get to a point that if I get sick, I can just accept it and do what needs to be done to get better, like normal people. Any advice is appreciated. What do you do to manage your phobias, how can I take the first step to getting over mine?

By the way, I am 21 and female.

Patricia Farrell, PhD responded:
As you've said, you have the number of a therapist, but you need to be sure that this person specializes in anxiety disorders and especially this specific phobia. If not, seek out someone who does have this specific experience.

Have you tried to help yourself with your anxiety by using relaxation breathing? I think this might be something that can help you. We have a video tutorial of it in our Tips column. Watch it, do it and remember to do it whenever you begin to feel the least bit anxious.

Featuring Experts

Reid Wilson, PhD is an international expert in the treatment of anxiety disorders, with books translated into nine languages. He is author of Don...More

Helpful Tips

Dr. Farrell's WebMD TV videosExpert
Dr. Farrell has a series of 12 videos that cover everything from your need for sleep, inheriting anxiety disorders, positive self-talk and ... More
Was this Helpful?
68 of 85 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.