Skip to content
Includes Expert Content
Unique type of OCD (please give advice)
Anon_26275 posted:
Please forgive me for posting the same question twice, I just really need some advice.

OCD has controlled msny aspects of my lfie. An old manager that I dislike triggers my OCD and I cant control it. The manager cut my hours without reason severely affecting my income, which made me dislike him. Now heres where my OCD comes in. I tend to avoid everything that reminds me of him,I wont eat pumpkin bread because he eats it.I have kind of gotten over that. The one thing i cant get over is that he wears the same cologne that I wear, the exact same cologne! It drives me crazy to where i havent worn the cologne because he wears it. please someone give me some advice please!!!!!!!!!!! I know the only way to help ocd is to get professional help, but i really need some advice on what to do because i love my cologne and cant wear it because it constantly reminds me of him.
Patricia Farrell, PhD responded:
I don't have a way for you to overcome this particular distaste for your cologne because this man also wears it. The two of you obviously have things in common, like things you like, and you should deny yourself something because it reminds you of him.

Having your hours cut is really what is at the bottom of this and there's no clear way around that hurt. I guess he must have good taste because he likes what you like and you have good taste in cologne. You could see it as him actually paying you a compliment by wearing the same cologne.

Featuring Experts

Reid Wilson, PhD is an international expert in the treatment of anxiety disorders, with books translated into nine languages. He is author of Don...More

Helpful Tips

Dr. Farrell's WebMD TV videosExpert
Dr. Farrell has a series of 12 videos that cover everything from your need for sleep, inheriting anxiety disorders, positive self-talk and ... More
Was this Helpful?
68 of 85 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

  • Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.