Skip to content
Includes Expert Content
Allergic to stress?
loopified000 posted:
I came across this site by chance today as my little had an allergic reaction to peanut butter today. He is fine now...but I need to know something about myself now.

When I was sixteen years old, (now 34), I was having a really hard time in high school with a girl that was bullying me. I dreaded every day that I had to go and couldn't sleep, eat, handle any feelings I was having. I literally thought about it day and night and was truly stressed! One afternoon, my wrists started to itch. Then I got little red swollen bumps on them. About an hour later, I was covered in the red swollen horribly itchy hives from head to toe. They were so hot to the touch and I was miserable! Mom brought me to the ER and they said it was acute urticaria, (not sure if I spelled that right). They gave me a shot of steroids and some Benedryl and sent me on my way. Everything subsided.
My next experience with this was even worse. I got pregnant with my son when I was seventeen and freaked out again because the fear of telling my parents. The stress was super high for about two weeks....red itchy bumps on my wrists...crazy hives all over my body...then something new. My lips started to swell in certain spots and itch really bad! Then it would calm down in that spot and move to my eyelids, one at a time. Then...something crazier, it would move to my feet! Swollen and itchy golf ball sized circles of hell moving every couple of hours or so to different spots on my feet. The circles had somewhat of a yellow-ish tint and itched so bad! THe pressure from me walking on them was weird too, not only painful but it felt like I was walking on something hard stuck to my foot.
I am no doctor by any means but this sounds to me like stress induced anaphylaxis..what do you think?

Patricia Farrell, PhD responded:
I'm not an MD, but it certainly sounds like it could be stress-induced breakouts.

Have you had any more since then? Sounds like you may need to do some lifestyle changes and stress-reduction routines like exercise and relaxation breathing for starters.

Having a small child who is allergic to peanut butter can be very stressful, so you need to begin to take care of yourself now.

Featuring Experts

Reid Wilson, PhD is an international expert in the treatment of anxiety disorders, with books translated into nine languages. He is author of Don...More

Helpful Tips

Lexapro
My dr. just prescribe me Lexapro.. i just feel nervous taking it. does anyone have any thoughts about it. More
Was this Helpful?
3 of 8 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.