Find Information About:

Drugs & Supplements

Get information and reviews on prescription drugs, over-the-counter medications, vitamins, and supplements. Search by name or medical condition.

Pill Identifier

Pill Identifier

Having trouble identifying your pills?

Enter the shape, color, or imprint of your prescription or OTC drug. Our pill identification tool will display pictures that you can compare to your pill.

Get Started
My Medicine

My Medicine

Save your medicine, check interactions, sign up for FDA alerts, create family profiles and more.

Get Started

WebMD Health Experts and Community

Talk to health experts and other people like you in WebMD's Communities. It's a safe forum where you can create or participate in support groups and discussions about health topics that interest you.

  • Second Opinion

    Second Opinion

    Read expert perspectives on popular health topics.

  • Community


    Connect with people like you, and get expert guidance on living a healthy life.

Got a health question? Get answers provided by leading organizations, doctors, and experts.

Get Answers

Sign up to receive WebMD's award-winning content delivered to your inbox.

Sign Up

Includes Expert Content
Selective Mutism
asantigo posted:
I was recently diagnosed with Selective Mutism and an anxiety disorder. Which explains a lot to me, but i still don't understand somethings. I'm about to turn 20 and i have the biggest fear of talking to people. I get really anxious in almost any type of social situations and it has gotten to the point where i can't even go out by myself any more because i can't talk to others. Is there any kind of treatment for this? I also heard that its found in children, but i'm an adult, i don't understand this. Any advice would help and be appreciated.
Patricia Farrell, PhD responded:
Have you heard of the film, The King's Speech," which was about King George VI of Great Britain who couldn't speak before a group? He worked with a speech therapist who helped him greatly and that's what you may need. Not necessarily a speech therapist, but possibly a cognitive one, but a speech therapist might help, too.

Who diagnosed you and what are they recommending? I'd think some individual work and, possibly, group therapy to help you build the skills you need.
asantigo replied to Patricia Farrell, PhD's response:
Yes i have heard of that movie but have not watched it. I was diagnosed by a psychiatric doctor who i saw because of my mother insistence because i have gotten worse as i get older. I was seeing a social worker before i saw for other problems and recommended i continue with her since she is the only one i really talk to, but that it might be wise to see another therapist as well. Only problem is that since i don't talk to anyone they get inpatient and things don't end well. I was seeing one in his office but she told my mother after three sessions she would not see me unless i talk. Which i can't and i can't seem to help it. So i'm at a wall right now and don't really know what to do.
Patricia Farrell, PhD replied to asantigo's response:
Perhaps, as I said, you need a speech therapist who works with people who engage in elective mutism. I think your therapist should help with this one. It's really, from my viewpoint, a question of exercises in vocalization, not singing, but even that might be a start. I know that sounds unusual, but sometimes we have to think outside the box.
asantigo replied to Patricia Farrell, PhD's response:
Thank you so much for the advice!! I will talk to my social worker to see if she can help me with that. I have another question for you, in your opinion do believe medication could help at this point? I was prescribed two: Citalopram and Temazepam. Do only thing is i'm terrified of taking medications. I've so many different things from the people around me that i'm not sure what to believe. So, i seek you opinion.

Featuring Experts

Reid Wilson, PhD is an international expert in the treatment of anxiety disorders, with books translated into nine languages. He is author of Don...More

Helpful Tips

Dr. Farrell's WebMD TV videosExpert
Dr. Farrell has a series of 12 videos that cover everything from your need for sleep, inheriting anxiety disorders, positive self-talk and ... More
Was this Helpful?
68 of 85 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

  • Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.