Skip to content


    Exciting News for WebMD Members!

    We've been busy behind the scenes building new message boards for you. You'll have new and easier ways to find messages, connect with others, and share your stories.

    And, this will all be available on your smartphone or other mobile device!

    What Do You Need to Do?

    The message board you're used to will be closing in the coming weeks. While many of your boards will be making the move to our new home, your posts will not. Want to keep a discussion going? Save posts you want to continue (this includes your member profile story), so that you can re-post them in the new message boards.

    Keep an eye here and on your email inbox, we'll be back in touch soon to give you all the information you need!

    Yours in health,
    WebMD Message Boards Management

    Includes Expert Content
    Selective Mutism
    asantigo posted:
    I was recently diagnosed with Selective Mutism and an anxiety disorder. Which explains a lot to me, but i still don't understand somethings. I'm about to turn 20 and i have the biggest fear of talking to people. I get really anxious in almost any type of social situations and it has gotten to the point where i can't even go out by myself any more because i can't talk to others. Is there any kind of treatment for this? I also heard that its found in children, but i'm an adult, i don't understand this. Any advice would help and be appreciated.
    Patricia Farrell, PhD responded:
    Have you heard of the film, The King's Speech," which was about King George VI of Great Britain who couldn't speak before a group? He worked with a speech therapist who helped him greatly and that's what you may need. Not necessarily a speech therapist, but possibly a cognitive one, but a speech therapist might help, too.

    Who diagnosed you and what are they recommending? I'd think some individual work and, possibly, group therapy to help you build the skills you need.
    asantigo replied to Patricia Farrell, PhD's response:
    Yes i have heard of that movie but have not watched it. I was diagnosed by a psychiatric doctor who i saw because of my mother insistence because i have gotten worse as i get older. I was seeing a social worker before i saw for other problems and recommended i continue with her since she is the only one i really talk to, but that it might be wise to see another therapist as well. Only problem is that since i don't talk to anyone they get inpatient and things don't end well. I was seeing one in his office but she told my mother after three sessions she would not see me unless i talk. Which i can't and i can't seem to help it. So i'm at a wall right now and don't really know what to do.
    Patricia Farrell, PhD replied to asantigo's response:
    Perhaps, as I said, you need a speech therapist who works with people who engage in elective mutism. I think your therapist should help with this one. It's really, from my viewpoint, a question of exercises in vocalization, not singing, but even that might be a start. I know that sounds unusual, but sometimes we have to think outside the box.
    asantigo replied to Patricia Farrell, PhD's response:
    Thank you so much for the advice!! I will talk to my social worker to see if she can help me with that. I have another question for you, in your opinion do believe medication could help at this point? I was prescribed two: Citalopram and Temazepam. Do only thing is i'm terrified of taking medications. I've so many different things from the people around me that i'm not sure what to believe. So, i seek you opinion.

    Featuring Experts

    Reid Wilson, PhD is an international expert in the treatment of anxiety disorders, with books translated into nine languages. He is author of Don...More

    Helpful Tips

    Successfully beat Effexor withdrawal - Here is how I did it:
    This is a Success Story and Instructions on Beating Effexor Withdrawal. I spent hours reading these forums and found that there were many, ... More
    Was this Helpful?
    14 of 14 found this helpful

    Related Drug Reviews

    • Drug Name User Reviews

    Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

    FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.