Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Includes Expert Content
Butterflies maybe
spencertracy2005 posted:
For about a year now I have been waking up with a sensation in my abdomen and chest that feels like really strong butterflies. It even takes my breath away sometimes. It is scary and I usually have to sit up before it goes away and my breathing is back to normal. I spend a lot of night sleeping in the recliner due to this. I have been to the Dr. and they are puzzled as well. It is driving me crazy.

Patricia Farrell, PhD responded:
Did they suggest it might be due to anxiety, stress or panic? I think all of these need to be considered if everything medical has been ruled out.

You might try doing some relaxation breathing (we have this in our Tips column) and that may help.

Sorry I can't offer more, but I'm not an MD.

Featuring Experts

Reid Wilson, PhD is an international expert in the treatment of anxiety disorders, with books translated into nine languages. He is author of Don...More

Helpful Tips

MRI/ NECK PAIN
I AM LEAVING WITH MULTIPLE SCLEROSIS I HAVE HAD HIP AND NECK PAIN WENT TO GET A MRI THEY SAW LESSIONS ON MY BRAIN I HAVE MS BUT IT DOES NOT ... More
Was this Helpful?
0 of 0 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.