Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Includes Expert Content
why do i panic when people do not respond?
cottoncandyburr posted:
I have started a new job. We have all different types and kinds of people.Most do not get along, I am stuck in the middle. I guess my skin is thin and take everything to heart. It know I can not please everyone, but I think I should be able too. This bothers me so much, I am thinking about quiting my new job, because the anxiety is to much!!! any suggestions?

Patricia Farrell, PhD responded:
Anxiety robs us of the ability to make good decisions. New jobs demand that you stick out for the first few months until you learn how to fit into the culture of the office and how to handle things.

No, you can't please everyone, but you might be able to help yourself by not trying to do that, but by being willing to help in some way. If you can't do something, you turn it around to say, "I'd like to help, but I've got (fill in something here) and perhaps you can think what I can do to help in some way, if not doing it entirely." Always give the appearance of cooperation, but don't always agree to do something you may not have time to do or not be able to do.

Help yourself with some of the things in our Tips column (especially the relaxation breathing video). You can do it. Talk to yourself and give yourself reassurance. It's always tough when you begin a new job.

Good Luck.

Featuring Experts

Reid Wilson, PhD is an international expert in the treatment of anxiety disorders, with books translated into nine languages. He is author of Don...More

Helpful Tips

Exercise you can doExpert
Exercise is one of the most beneficial self-help techniques we know of today and more and more research is indicating its usefulness in ... More
Was this Helpful?
57 of 77 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.