Skip to content
Includes Expert Content
Going Mad!
An_247909 posted:
I have only just discovered that alcohol and anxiety are related and I am so relieved I thought I was just going mad. After a night out the next day I feel as though I am going mad and going to die. I was wondering if anyone else gets the feeling of 'not being there' and 'spaced out' I can walk down the street and I get a sudden feeling of panic that I am not there it feels like everything around me is going really fast and I'm not real. It's petrifying. Also when I have an anxiety attack I cannot stop my thoughts I feel as though I am going mad and going to be like that for the rest of my life. I worry about telling anyone when I have an anxiety attack in case I get sectioned. It sounds crazy I know. Is it just me?

Patricia Farrell, PhD responded:
Alcohol isn't without its consequences and two of them are anxiety and depression brought on by a few things, most probably swelling (possibly of the brain) and its effect on normal levels of electrolytes.

Featuring Experts

Reid Wilson, PhD is an international expert in the treatment of anxiety disorders, with books translated into nine languages. He is author of Don...More

Helpful Tips

Lexapro
My dr. just prescribe me Lexapro.. i just feel nervous taking it. does anyone have any thoughts about it. More
Was this Helpful?
3 of 8 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.