Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Includes Expert Content
my anxiety disorder makes me feel crazy
joego92 posted:
So i've been dealing with an anxiety disorder for a few months now, and despite everyone's reassurances that I will get better in time, I can never stay positive and go back into relapses. I'm CONSTANTLY fearing that I'm going crazy, avoid places I've been in the past where attacks have occurred, am sleepy and depressed all the time, and have such a terrible outlook on life now that I feel like this disorder will get the best of me. Can someone please help me out and tell me that I'm not alone? I'm trying so hard

sickofsick52 responded:
You're head is playing tricks on you, thats what it does. I had it so severe, so deadly sick no dr knew what it was. That was 12 years ago. Finally went to mental healh & went though many trials of different drugs. I took clonazepam for years, not knowing it caused hair loss. Even the dr's said non of my med's did. A dermo dr had all side effects in his book. Lamictal was a life saver for me with depression, which hits later. That also causes hair loss. Now, I'm on valium. I have feel sick so much, beyound tired. I was so sick I couldn't hardly shower. I begged God everyday to take me. When he didn't, I started praying for healing. Depression gone asap. Standing on faith for the rest. I never thought I'd be where I am today, thats how bad it was. If a dr wants to put you on a medication, have them pull out their book to check all possible side effects. Shawdows make me jump. When I was still working, my boss would walk up behind me & I'd come out the chair. After fighting 5 years to work, but alot of short term disability, they finally let me go. you have to except it and deal with it. Learn to function with it till you get help. My heart never calms downs. I take a deep breath & let it out really slow when I lay down, it slows th heart. Nothing bad is going to happen even though at times it feels like it. Staying active is very important, I mean walking, biking etc. If you give into it and become inactive, it gets more of a hold on you.

Patricia Farrell, PhD responded:
You're not alone and you'll hear from people on this board who will tell you that they've felt as you do. Anxiety is a terrible disorder and it has to be fought just as wholeheartedly as you would if you had a major medical illness like cancer.

Yes, you can get this under control, but it may take first a medical exam, then some lifestyle changes (diet, sleep, exercise, being with friends) and some self-help techniques (relaxation breathing video in our Tips column) and cognitive therapy with an experienced, licensed psychologist. You need all the help you can get and then you need to practice everything you learn. Concentrate on any victory you make against the anxiety, no matter how small you think it is. Every victory is one to be proud of and it will take lots of these to get you along the road to where you'd like to be.

I hope you do feel better very soon.

shejomar responded:
If your crazy, then I'm crazy, and I don't think I'm crazy, but I do feel like it sometimes. I'll tell you some things that I do, and maybe something will sound helpful to you. I found a psychologist who specializes in cognitive behavioral therapy. She challenges my thought patterns, teaches me relaxation techniques, and is a great support for me. I just started yoga which goes along with breathing exercises. Every night I write in a notebook everything that I accomplished that day. Sometimes it's just getting out of bed and taking a shower, but it helps me to see that I did something. I also take Zoloft and Klonopin to help me get through this. I've been in and out of it my whole life, and it's really hard, but this too shall pass. Hang in there!

joego92 replied to Patricia Farrell, PhD's response:
Thank you! Hearing from someone who knows a lot about this be so positive makes me feel so much better. I know it's something that doesn't just go away and it's something I'm going to have to work hard at but I can assure you that I am doing everything in my power to get over this. Thanks again for your reply, every little thing counts for me

Patricia Farrell, PhD replied to joego92's response:
I'm glad I could help. Hope things continue to improve for you.

Featuring Experts

Reid Wilson, PhD is an international expert in the treatment of anxiety disorders, with books translated into nine languages. He is author of Don...More

Helpful Tips

SSRIs, and anti-anxiety
I recommend Fluoxetine to help boost the seratonin in your brain, it keeps the panic away. IF you are panicky tho, nothing helps more than ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 1 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.