Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Includes Expert Content
Anxiety/Panic attacks/depersonalization HELP PLEASE
An_248003 posted:
Hello, I am 22 and have been suffering panic attacks and anxiety since I was 18 years old. Anxiety and depression run in my family, so that's why I have it. It's only been getting worse since I was 18 and for some reason these past couple weeks it's the worst it's ever been in my life. I constantly am feeling weird, like the world around me isn't real. Like things are 2d, etc. Basically the same that everyone else with depersonalization feels like. These feeling always cause me to have a panic attack. And these feelings can last 2 minutes, to all day, to a few days. They don't really ever end. I've become a homebody. I don't go anywhere really, except lately I started working out. I've changed my eating habits, quit smoking cigarettes and stopped drinking but I still feel terrible. So my question is... Should I start taking medication? I have no health insurance and work a minimum wage job.. so no money for therapists. It's basically medication, or feel this miserable the rest of my life..

Patricia Farrell, PhD responded:
You've started on a good path to help yourself and it may be that you are suffering from stress-induced anxiety which can lead to all kinds of symptoms.

Working a minimum wage job has to be somewhat stressful and I'd recommend that you try relaxation breathing (the exercise is a very good idea) and we have a video tutorial in our Tips column. Watch it, practice the technique and use it daily, several times to keep your anxiety down. I think it can be very helpful.

I think you also need a medical check-up but not necessarily any meds for your anxiety, if you don't want them.

Hope thngs improve very soon.

Featuring Experts

Reid Wilson, PhD is an international expert in the treatment of anxiety disorders, with books translated into nine languages. He is author of Don...More

Helpful Tips

Dr. Farrell's WebMD TV videosExpert
Dr. Farrell has a series of 12 videos that cover everything from your need for sleep, inheriting anxiety disorders, positive self-talk and ... More
Was this Helpful?
68 of 85 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.