Skip to content
Includes Expert Content
Anxiety relief help-book recommendation??
ZackReed82 posted:
Hey, I'm new to the community but have suffered from general anxiety and more situational based panic attacks for almost ten years now. I'm a 29 year-old male, and wondering if anyone in this community has had any luck with a certain panic disorder book? Just looking online i came across one called "Panic Attacks Workbook" by David Carbonell, and one called "When Panic Attacks" by David Burns. Was also thinking of looking into an herbal supplement or two, as i am doing my best to avoid taking an SSRI or something stronger. Any thoughts/recommendations would be awesome!

Patricia Farrell, PhD responded:
My feeling is that some books may be helpful and I do not recommend any supplements because they can have both unknown or dangerous side effects. They are not without risk.

You indicated you've had this problem for quite some time and I'm wondering if you've had a full medical exam to rule out anything like a thyroid or electrolyte disorder. I'm not an MD, but that's the first thing I would think to suggest.

Next, situational anxiety can be handled by using some self-help techniques or a bit of cognitive therapy with someone who is licensed and experienced in the area of anxiety disorders.

Featuring Experts

Reid Wilson, PhD is an international expert in the treatment of anxiety disorders, with books translated into nine languages. He is author of Don...More

Helpful Tips

keep calm
taking it one day at a time helps me with my anxiety. More
Was this Helpful?
2 of 2 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.