Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Includes Expert Content
Is This Anxiety?
BenArkide posted:
Hello,
Ever since I enrolled in college I have had all kinds of weird thoughts. I have told myself things like I don't love my parents, etc. It's not so much that I believe them, they are just there and I ask myself why. I have had numerous thoughts. My latest thought is being scared of flying. I have been on tons and tons of airplane flights and have never felt scared. But lately I have been over analyzing it and really imagining how weird it is to fly. I'm still not scared, but I am trying to think like a scared person, and I am starting to sort of feel that way. I don't want this to happen. Is this all anxiety? I will feel much better if I know that this is what it is and that these thoughts are not true even though they feel true. I am in college now but I am still having the thoughts, but I still feel like they are a result of anxiety. I really want to know if this is what it is and that these thoughts that seem so real actually aren't. Thanks a ton.

BenArkide responded:
I would like to add: I have always been an aviation enthusiast and loved flying. Suddenly I have started to over analyze it and it just seems creepy to me... I can't imagine it's real. I don't know why I am thinking this way. It has been this way for other thoughts also. Thanks for all of the help.

Patricia Farrell, PhD responded:
You omitted one fact; is this your first semester in college? If it is, anxiety and stress and having your life turned around by the demands of college can bring on anxiety. This may be what's happening, but we don't know.

Have you had a medical exam to be sure everything is ok and that you aren't deficient in something? Look, too, at things like how many hours of sleep you are getting, diet, school class load, etc. It all adds into the equation and, perhaps, talk to a counselor at school.

BenArkide replied to Patricia Farrell, PhD's response:
Thanks for the reply. Yes, this is my first semester of college. However, my class load isn't too tough. My diet is pretty good and I get a decent amount of rest. I haven't had a medical exam done to see if I am deficient in anything, maybe I should do that. From what I have read online, it seems like my stupid thoughts are a result of anxiety but I am not sure. Thanks again.

Featuring Experts

Reid Wilson, PhD is an international expert in the treatment of anxiety disorders, with books translated into nine languages. He is author of Don...More

Health Insurance in Your State

Learn about plans, benefits, and costs in your state's Marketplace.

From WebMD

Helpful Tips

Exercise you can doExpert
Exercise is one of the most beneficial self-help techniques we know of today and more and more research is indicating its usefulness in ... More
Was this Helpful?
57 of 77 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.