Skip to content
Includes Expert Content
illness related anxiety
Roser posted:
I am sick for several days and after day 7 I started having extreme anxiety. I am hanging on but can't even get decent sleep due to being physically unable to relax to fall to sleep, then nightmares when I do.
I have done my graduated tension release exercises to no avail.
I have many medications normally, plus antibiotics and prednisone now. Taking alprazalam on top is not an option I wish to exercise for fear that it will feel worse. I know that I shouldn't be embarrassed to talk to someone but I am. So I thought about bringing it up here.
Have any of you fellow sufferers had increased anxiety like this while dealing with an infection and what did you do about it?

Patricia Farrell, PhD responded:
You indicate that you are taking prednisone which is something that not only can cause excessive anxiety, mood changes, but insomnia. Check with your doc about all of this.

Featuring Experts

Reid Wilson, PhD is an international expert in the treatment of anxiety disorders, with books translated into nine languages. He is author of Don...More

Helpful Tips

Progressive Muscle RelaxationExpert
In addition to relaxation breathing and guided imagery, one great self-help technique that you can use anywhere (even while sitting in a ... More
Was this Helpful?
14 of 24 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.