Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Includes Expert Content
OCD and Bleach Baths
OCDSufferer posted:
I have suffered from "Contamination" OCD for 25 years. I have some questions which having the answers to would really help.

When I'm having a bad OCD day I put 2 bottles of bleach in my bath water and saturate my body and hair in it for 15 mins and leave neat bleach on my hands for 1hr 15mins. What is the minimum time I could do this for to kill all contaminants?

Since I have been doing this (for over 4 years now) my hair and nails have stopped growing would the bleach be the cause?

Is there an alternative I could use in the bath which would have the same contaminant killing effect as the bleach?

When my OCD is not too bad I shower using Dermol and leave on my skin and hair for 10 mins is this as effective as using bleach?

Is the bleach baths harming me? I have 3 a week.

I used to use neat disinfectant before I began using the bleach on my skin. Is disinfectant more effective than bleach!

Also

I put my clothes through a wash 4 times before I feel they are contaminant free would once be enough? I use 2 scoops of Persil and 2 scoops of Vamish Extra Hygiene in every wash.

Do pre treaters in washing powder kill continants or just clean away dirt?

When you take a shower does the water cause contaminants on your body to stick to the walls. If this is the case when you are clean does the water cause contaminants on the walls to again stick to your body?

What is the best contaminant killing cleaner to use around the home ie disinfectant, bleach, household products and how long should you leave the cleaner in contact for, for it to work?

I am on prescribed medication but it only helps to a degree.

Thank you in advance.

OCDSufferer responded:
Just to add. I use neat bleach to clean the bathroom including the tiles which takes an hour. The bleach fumes make me cough and my eyes and nose run. What harm is this doing? I want to stop using bleach in the bath water and for clean buty OCD doesn't allow me to.

Please help.

Patricia Farrell, PhD responded:
I'm not an MD, but I would suspect that the bleach is detrimental to your body and your health and you need to discuss this with whoever is treating you.

I know that OCD is an extremely difficult disorder and it must be very upsetting to you for you to go to the extremes you are mentioning. But you and your treating healthcare professional must decide what would be the best route for you to take in this matter.

I'm sorry that I cannot provide more to you.

Featuring Experts

Reid Wilson, PhD is an international expert in the treatment of anxiety disorders, with books translated into nine languages. He is author of Don...More

Helpful Tips

Lexapro
My dr. just prescribe me Lexapro.. i just feel nervous taking it. does anyone have any thoughts about it. More
Was this Helpful?
3 of 8 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.