Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Includes Expert Content
Work and Anxiety
An_248393 posted:
I recently had a bad bout of anxiety and panic attacks. I saw my doctor frequently and changed my medication. I decided to have my doctor wrtie my employer a note so that there was awareness of what I was going through. In August, my doctor took me off work for a week. When I returned to work, I was "let go." I worked a very small organization ....only 2 full-time employees. I believe if I worked for a larger business this would have been considered "wrongful termination." My question is.... Is there ANYTHING I can do??? I am receiving unemployment, but I liked my job and miss working.

Any suggestions/ideas are welcomed. Thanks!

Patricia Farrell, PhD responded:
I'm sorry but this is outside my area of expertise. What I do understand, however, is that you may not be covered by fair labor practices because your company is not within the needed number of employees.

Don't know if you have any recourse for medical discrimination. You may want to consult a labor attorney or local labor board.

Featuring Experts

Reid Wilson, PhD is an international expert in the treatment of anxiety disorders, with books translated into nine languages. He is author of Don...More

Helpful Tips

Exercise you can doExpert
Exercise is one of the most beneficial self-help techniques we know of today and more and more research is indicating its usefulness in ... More
Was this Helpful?
57 of 77 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.