Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Includes Expert Content
Why does it have to be anxiety disorder?
Anxiety_Really posted:
I have recently been told by my PCP, a Neurologist, and a Cardiologist that I probably have an anxiety disorder! 8 weeks ago I had an accident involving my 3 month colt resulting in a foot injury with broken toes and a kick to left side of chest. I wasn't even going to go to doctor but my family insisted! Typically I just weather an injury through and go on. I have a high pain threshold. I have fibromyalgia. After being given shot for tdap, pain killers and antibiotics I was sent on my way. After a few days I started having shortness of breath and rapid heartbeat with exertion, extreme fatigue, muscle weakness, fullness to left neck and jaw, and left eye pain. I have had a eye twitch to my right eyelid for over a year or more that has steadily increased. I have had a stress echo, pulmonary function studies, Neuro work up with EEG and brain MRI, CT of chest and numerous labs. Alk phos slightly low, neutrophils low, lymphocytes high, TSH slightly high with normal T4, all other blood work normal, bump, CBC, Ana, ear, crp, cpk,. So with all the normal results I am told I have an anxiety disorder... Really? If I do then besides suggesting i go to a psychiatrist why has nothing else been done for this "anxiety"? I am definitely anxious now! Anyone out there have any words?

Patricia Farrell, PhD responded:
I am not an MD, but I'm wondering why they didn't recommend some cognitive therapy so you could learn some things to do to help yourself since you seem to be a self-sufficient person.

If the lymphocytes are high, what does your doc say about that? It sounds like you got quite a wallop from your horse, so I would think that might have resulted in leaving you weakened and all the testing has been, I'm sure, stressful.

Pain killer and even antibiotics can cause anxiety as side effects and that should have been considered. Take a look at the side effects of any meds. You can research this on the internet and it might be helpful.

Featuring Experts

Reid Wilson, PhD is an international expert in the treatment of anxiety disorders, with books translated into nine languages. He is author of Don...More

Helpful Tips

MRI/ NECK PAIN
I AM LEAVING WITH MULTIPLE SCLEROSIS I HAVE HAD HIP AND NECK PAIN WENT TO GET A MRI THEY SAW LESSIONS ON MY BRAIN I HAVE MS BUT IT DOES NOT ... More
Was this Helpful?
0 of 0 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.