Skip to content
Includes Expert Content
THIS POST IS ONLY FOR DR. FARRELL
doxielover10 posted:
When I lived in Manhattan I was heavely involved with battered and abused women. My girls were very important to me and I succeeded in helping. I was also battered physically so badly I did not look human, it happened 3 times. Fortunately for me, I had the strength and smarts to get back at my abuser and he never came near me again.

I was wondering what your thoughts would be to put a battered and abused community here on WebMD ?

Allison

A witty woman is a treasure; a witty beauty is a power.
George Meridith

Patricia Farrell, PhD responded:
It does sound like a good idea and you might want to explore this further with the moderators here at WebMD. I know there are many women and men who are battered by their partners and they might find it helpful to have a place to find support.

I'm not sure to whom you should direct this, but a bit of searching here will turn up someone who can help.

Good Luck with this and congratulations on finding your way out of a terrible situation and the courage to help not only yourself but others. Everyone needs to hear stories like your's.

Caprice_WebMD_Staff responded:
Hi Allison,

I also think this is a good idea. We've tried this before but maybe now is the time to go for it again.

I really encourage you to start your own community on this topic. To do that, go to our Community Home page and scroll down to where you can create your own community. In this case, I'd suggest creating one that is public. When you create it be sure to include key words (you'll see where those can be put in) that will help to define the community AND will be searchable via any search engine out there. That could mean that your community may be found.

It can take time to build a community and you can always change its definition, etc., by clicking on the 'Manage This Community' which will be found on the left sidebar of that particular community whenever you sign in since you are its creator.

And then start a few discussions on the topic to introduce yourself and invite others. You may also want to go to a couple of our other communities to promote it, such as our Depression, Sexual Abuse and Relationships Communities. As long as you don't spam these boards, it's okay to write a post to let others know it exists. Be sure to provide a link to your community when you do that.

And you may want to post this resource (always found via our Crisis Resources link on the left of each of our boards but this one is particular to domestic violence):

http://www.webmd.com/help/crisis-resources#abuse

Once you've created your community, if you have questions, you can write to communitymanagement@webmd.net and we'll do what we can to answer them.

Good luck!

doxielover10 replied to Patricia Farrell, PhD's response:
Hi Dr. F,

I sent an email to Support before I got Caprice's message. I've been thinking about this for a long time.

After I went through my experience, he almost killed me. At that time abused and battered women was really picking up steam. That night I tried to leave and he took my car keys. The idiot forgot I was an Equestrian who was in open jumping, no fence lower than 5 feet. I tossed 120 pound bales of hay, mucked stalls and carried huge pails of water and oats. I could jump a four foot fence bareback. In other words, I was really strong physically and emotionally LOL. He started to come after me again and I grabbed a fire poker and stuck it in his groin with every ounce of strength I had. I went to my best friends house, she and her husband were horrified. I spent the next few nights with them.

After that, I worked for 7 years with my girls, I'd leave work and be with them. I also have major psych background, so that helped.
Only one of my 10 girls went back and he killed her. All of the men in my family are gun collectors, my brother lent me his 44 Magnum. We all have extensive firearm training and we are all licensed to carry guns. They do, I do not, however at that time I did carry it because of death threats. I bought everyone designer suits, heels, jewelry, taught appropriate make up, handbags etc. for job interviews.

As I've been thinking of this, the major component of these girls lives was fear and anxiety. You have no idea how much you have helped me. I was wondering if you would just be a

George Meridith

Patricia Farrell, PhD replied to doxielover10's response:
It sounds like you've done wonderful work for many women and I'm glad that WebMD can help in building a community here for abused persons.

Good Luck with everything.

doxielover10 replied to Caprice_WebMD_Staff's response:
Dear Caprice,

I am so sorry I have not gotten back to you, I was in the hospital.
I put my community up before I went in, have to check if it's still up.

I asked Dr. Farrell to be my advisor, however she feels that she has no experience in that particular area. Do you know anyone ?

First, I have to go see if it's still there LOL

I'll get back to you,

Best,
Allison

George Meridith

Caprice_WebMD_Staff replied to doxielover10's response:
Hi Allison,

This isn't something with which we can get involved on our end. Your community is member-created and our experts all need to be properly vetted by WebMD and look in on our WebMD boards.

That doesn't mean your community can't or won't be a success and won't be very valuable to the eventual community that grows there. Some of our member-created communities are our most vibrant.

It should still be there but let me know if you can't locate it.

I hope the hospital stay was helpful to you. I wondered where you went and I hope you're taking good care of yourself.

Hi Caprice,

Well, 1 1/2 years ago I arrived DOA in total renal failure from a drug I was prescribed. I have been housebound ever since due to my compromised immune system. I'm only allowed to go to doctors and blood work. I still only have 30% kidney function.

I got a raging UTI, I was passing so much blood, my doctor almost had a heart attack. He said my urine look like peach nectar with red food coloring LOL. I got slapped in the hospital and I just got out. I cannot find my community, can you ? LMK, I'll have to start over if it's gone.

BEST
ALLISON

George Meridith

Hi Allison,

I'm sorry to hear about your latest health setback and hope you'll get a bit of a break from it all for a while.

Your community is still there and you can likely always find it by signing in and coming to any community (including this one) and looking on the left sidebar, clicking in to the My Communities (and then see all).

But here it is:

Women and Men Battering Abuse Community

Dear Caprice,

Thank you SO MUCH, for finding my community !!! Yay, I can start by advising other communities.

Best
Allison

George Meridith

Yes, the UTI was just horrible because I had no symptoms. When I started passing a massive amount of blood, I went to my doctor with no appointment and he was horrified. We immediately did blood work to check my kidneys and they were fine WHEW !!! 1000 mg of Cipro for 10 days and I pray all is well, I also just put everything on the back burner and just relaxed.

I wrote a description on my community of my brush with a batterer, it's not there. Can I retrieve it ?

George Meridith

You're very welcome, Doxielover.

Your story is in the second discussion down on that community: here .

Your community description is a short statement (there isn't room for much more) that can be found when clicking on About This Community on that board.

It may take a while but I hope others find it and start posting.

Featuring Experts

Reid Wilson, PhD is an international expert in the treatment of anxiety disorders, with books translated into nine languages. He is author of Don...More

Helpful Tips

Dr. Farrell's WebMD TV videosExpert
Dr. Farrell has a series of 12 videos that cover everything from your need for sleep, inheriting anxiety disorders, positive self-talk and ... More
Was this Helpful?
68 of 85 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.